The Request | Teen Ink

The Request

January 2, 2012
By RhinoSaurusRexPlease GOLD, Kapolei, Hawaii
RhinoSaurusRexPlease GOLD, Kapolei, Hawaii
12 articles 2 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I'm the only real thing," -- Kyle Austin Perfect


I sat away from him, watching him mess with his cellphone. The light from his phone lit up his face, but revealed nothing I haven't seen before.

"Well," he began, "I will grant you only one request." I was astonished. Only one request? Was this some sort of game?

"Why are you treating me like this?" I asked, adjusting my glasses that he might see my glare. He looked up, and even with the cellphone light, his eyes looked darker than usual.

"Treating you like how?" He asked, exasperated. "I'm being nice; I'm granting you one request."

"Treating me like nothing ever happened." I sighed, and hugged my knees. I refused to look at him any longer, the sight hurt my little heart.

"I have my reasons." His voice sent a cold, sinking feeling down my spine. I closed my eyes, and I tried to remember when I was the happiest.

_____________________

His arm was wrapped around my shoulder, and he tried to pull me closer. I smiled at his feeble attempt.

"No," I teased. His fingers lightly tapped the edge of my chin. I closed my eyes, enjoying the feeling of being loved. Something jabbed into my side, and my eyes jerked open. I squirmed and smacked his hand. He laughed. Closing his hand around mine, he turned in such a way so that I was facing him.

"Yes," he whispered, and he leaned in closer, his lips parted. I closed my eyes, and felt the kiss deepen.

I pulled away, and stared at the TV across from us. The dark reflection revealed the couple seated away from it. The girl with her barely noticeable features, and the boy who blended in with the girl.

"What?" He asked, squeezing my arm. "What's wrong?"

"Nothings wrong," I reassured him, laying my head on his shoulder. His fingers lightly massaged my hair. I closed my eyes.

"Tell me," he whispered. "Just tell me." I shook my head.

"Tell you what?" I opened my eyes. "There's nothing to tell."

"What's with the expression on your face?" He asked.

"Huh?" I asked, pulling away from him. Poking my cheek, I stared at the ground. "What's wrong with my face?" He laughed, pulling me in once again.

"Nothing," he said. "You just look so," he paused. "Happy." I laughed.

"Is there a problem with being happy?" I felt his head shake.

"Of course not."

"Well, then." I looked at him, and kissed him on the cheek. "I am happy." He smiled, and stroked my cheek lightly with his finger. He leaned in closer, and kissed me on the lips.

_____________________

"Well?" He asked, obviously impatient. "I haven't got all night." I shook my head.

"I know," I whispered. I looked up at him. "You should already know what I'd want." He scoffed.

"Yeah, I do, but I think it would be funnier if you said it." My heart sank. It would be funnier? "Besides," he added. "I might not fill the request."

"Oh," I sighed. I had to find the courage to put my desire at rest. I tugged at the carpet fibers, and tried to ignore the nervous feeling inside of me. "I'm so nervous," I admitted.

"You remind me of her." He said in a flat tone.

"How?" I asked, trying not to reveal any expression in my voice.

"You just do." I closed my eyes, as I heard cars in the distance pass on by. I listened to the words of silence that was passed between us. It was uneasy, and then came the temptation to ruin it.

"I still like you, you know." I whispered.

"Ew," he said, disgusted. "You need to stop." I listened to the gentle break of my heart.

"I know, I know," I felt my eyes fill. Warm tears slid across my cheeks.

He stood up, and never bothered to look at me. "Well, your time is running out." I stood up too, and quickly wiped my cheeks. He was about to leave. Forget courage. I took a deep breath.

"Can I kiss you?" I asked, my voice cracking from the pain. He looked over at me, and smiled. He took a step closer, and closed his eyes. Leaning his face in, his fingers gripped my chin lightly. His lips pressed against mine, and I felt my pain erode into the distance. Before I knew it, he pulled away. I exhaled sharply. My eyes sought to look at his. He met my gaze.

"You can't always expect the request." He whispered, and he was gone.

I stood there for a while, trying to imprint that one moment into my brain forever. When I was about to leave, I thought of his final words to me. It wasn't a "bye," or "I'll see you later,"... It was a promise. A horrible feeling spread across my body, and gave me a headache. That's when I knew that that was the last kiss I'll ever get again.


The author's comments:
Wouldn't it be sad if the only person you liked, or the only person you were falling for.. Did this to you?