Lost in emptiness

She walked forward, eyes lowered to the ground, almost running in her haste to get away from them. They all were whispering and snickering among themselves, pointing to her and calling out insults and obscenities. She just went on, hot tears threatning to drown her in misery. She stumbled, and tried to walk gracefully, even though she was hyper aware of each and every stare. She was aware of the looks that came from where he was standing with his friends. Mocking and disgusted. She peeked out from under her wet eyelashes and spotted a group of girls in her class. They were all staring at her and laughing condescendingly. She ran now, desperate to get away from the evil laughs ringing in her ears, the shushed whispers punching her in the stomach. She bit her lip hard, and pushed down the bile rising in her throat, threatning to kill her. She stumbled suddenly and fell down, twisting her ankle and crying out in agonising pain. No one came forward to help her. They just watched the spectacle as if it were the most entertaining news of the day. She stuggled to get up, wincing in pain everytime she tried using her ankle. She bit her lip so hard that she could feel a metallic and rusty taste. Her blood. She hobbled along, eyes still lowered to the ground, hunched over like she was trying to protect herself.