September 9, 2007 | Teen Ink

By Haley Baker BRONZE, Bolingbrook, Illinois
Haley Baker BRONZE, Bolingbrook, Illinois

It’s a Sunday morning and I’m happily at rest. I wake up to my alarm clock going off. As tempted as I am to hit the snooze button, I remembered the date. September 9, 2007. Today I get to hang out with my dad all day! I jump out of bed and hop in the shower. After I get out I put on my Redskins jersey and some jeans and shoes. My dad and I always watch football games together. Today is supposed to be a lot of fun, since the Redskins are playing against Miami. My grandmother is a die-hard Redskins fan. Her whole living room is filled with Redskins posters, pillows, and even blankets. I look at the clock to see what time it is. I still have about an hour before my dad gets here. My mother and father split up after I was born, I don’t think too much of it, because they both say they would fight too much if they were still together. I walked downstairs to get some food and hear the doorbell ring. I race to the door. It’s my dad wearing the same jersey as me! He asks me if I’m ready to go and I grab my sweater and leave. While we were watching the game at his house he went on the balcony to grill some shish kabobs. Our dog, Rocky, is lying on my lap. He’s only a puppy but he’s a big puppy. After a lot of laughs and grilled foods, my dad takes me out for some ice cream at Andy’s. Once we left, he took me home so I could finish up my homework. When I got home my mom asked me how my day was and I started crying from tears of joy.