Givin up.

the intercom was the one to announce that his body had finally given up. i don't remember what i was wearing that day, or how my hair looked, or what noises fell out of my mouth. death has dulled the sharp edges within me. this is what i do know: some people burst into tears and some people sat frozen and pale and some people simply got up and left the room.

"are you okay?" someone asked me, and i found that i was lying on the floor, though i couldn't understand how i'd gotten there. the overhead lights were buzzing and humming, or maybe it was just my heart. confused, i sat up quickly and let the blood rush to my head in one glorious fell swoop.

"are you okay?" they asked again, and i said yes, yes, i am okay. i am alive. i have to be okay. the linoleum is still cold against my cheek and i can still see i am alive i am okay i am okay i am okay.

but sometimes i wish i had told them no

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

half.noteThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 9, 2012 at 2:06 am:
Seriously, I almost cried. That was beautiful! Death is a tough thing, isn't it? Lat year my neice died just a few days before she was born. My sister-in-law carried her for the full nine months and she never even got the chance to live. It was tough on our whole family, and it still makes me sad to think about it. There's not much you can do, but keep going. Your poem really shows the emotions around death in a profound way. I really enjoyed it!