Sometimes the Loudest Sound is Silence | Teen Ink

Sometimes the Loudest Sound is Silence

August 23, 2011
By Danielle_McNair BRONZE, Airdrie, Other
Danielle_McNair BRONZE, Airdrie, Other
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"In a world filled with despair we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust we must still dare to believe." -Michael Jackson


“Sometimes the loudest sound is silence.” Is a quote that describes exactly how Joseph felt upon the entry to the graveyard of the old Fort Saskatchewan jail. Wind gusted musically through the lengthily dried grass. The crunch of brittle leaves fracturing underneath the blackened soles of his leather shoes. The weight of his heart growing ever heavier as he glided through the solemn yard, filled with unnamed tombs of those who had spent their dying moments here. Joseph knew exactly where he was going as he approached the handmade wire cross. Bending down and kneeling on the dead grass, he felt a familiar sensation. A spine chilling, distant tingle. One he greeted as an old friend. He also felt a feeling of considerable comfort as he put the singular red rose at the base of the wire memorial, knowing that somebody, somewhere was watching him. The thoughts of what could have been washed over Joseph as it did every time he came to visit the final resting place of his long deceased father. Joseph reached into his silk lined pocket and pulled out an ivory white handkerchief. He delicately unfolded the cloth and allowed the wind to catch the dust contained within it.
“I miss you mum. So much. But you are safe now. Tell dad I miss him.” Joseph spoke clearly as he watched his mothers ashes swirl in the warm wafts of wind caressing Josephs face. He wrapped the handkerchief into a neat square and replaced it back into his suit jacket pocket. Arising to his feet, Joseph took one last look at the small wire headstone, he wiped the lonely tear from his cheek, turned and slowly walked from the cemetery. Looking back only once, he felt his parents gaze on him, he left knowing everything was finally at peace.