Al's Story | Teen Ink

Al's Story

By Angela Block BRONZE, Mattawan, Michigan
Angela Block BRONZE, Mattawan, Michigan

Every morning I wake up and my life is always the same. At six A.M. I wake up and take a freezing cold shower. After the shower I dry myself off with a fuzzy lemon-yellow towel. Then I slip on a clean shirt and jeans. I thump down the stairs and pour myself a glass of apple juice and toast my pop-tarts. I shovel all my food to my mouth and repeat until I'm done. Then I watch my mom make me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, pack me a juice, and a small stack of cookies. “What a boring life.”

“Wake up,” cried my mom “Its time to get ready.” I look at my alarm clock. Its only five-thirty!“Whatever,” I think and slide out of my bed “At least I’m not going to school, at least I’m going to Florida!” I decide to change things up a bit and not take a shower. “I'll take one tonight at Florida.”
I walk into the bathroom. My sister Syd's mess is everywhere! “I wish she was more clean but whatever,” I think. I pick up my purple and silver brush and comb out my long brown curly hair. I rub my chocolate-brown eyes so I don’t have sleep eyes. Unfortunately for me my last name is Greene so of course when I was born I was stuck with curly hair. My whole family,not including my dad, has curly hair. I only have one sister which isn’t so bad as having two so I'll take what I get.
“Hurry up,” yells Syd through the painted white wooden door. I open the door on her then slam it. I look at myself in the mirror once more then I open the door for Syd again and walk out. “Mom made you pancakes,” sneers Syd. Syd is a usually a good sister. She hardly ever lets me get on her nerves and sometimes it annoying. Syd looks just like me. Her hair is curly and brown and her eyes are chocolate-brown.

Instead of thumping down the stairs in a grouchy mood, I walk down slowly with a giant smile painted on my face. “Good morning,” says mom “Go ahead and eat. Dad is loading the car and after Syd ready we'll drive to the airport.” “OK,sure,” I mutter. I eat my pancakes and think how wonderful it is that I don’t have to go to school for the next four days. No skill builders,no science,no weekly workouts,no paper to type in language arts, this is great! I finish eating my pancakes and Syd walks her energetic walk down the stairs as she always does. Dad starts the car and Syd and I hop in the back while my mom jumps in the front with my dad. We pull out the driveway and I say goodbye to the cozy stone house that I wish I didn’t live in, no matter how nice it looks. I probably should be more grateful about where I live but I'm not. When we get to the airport I put in my headphones so I don’t have to listen to Syd talk to me. I listen to my music, take naps and bug my Syd the whole flight.

When I wake up and look out the airplane window I see palm trees,tourists and the beach. I walk off the plane towards the airport and the air smells like coconuts. I love the smell of cocoanut
but coconuts are really gross. I tried one before and I almost barfed. I shuffled along until we got into the taxi that would drive my family to the hotel we'd be staying at.

“Finally,” I think in my head when we pulled into the parking lot of a big light yellow building,with palm trees in the front and clear blue pool in the back. The small taxi stops and I jump out of the car. My family walks to the check-in desk and we get our room number. “This is so much
better than going to school,” I think again. My mom tells me and Syd that we could go do whatever we want but to stay in the hotel, with each other.

Syd and I go up to our room. The room is cool, summery and welcoming. I change in to my new bright pink bathing suit and Syd changes into a bright green one, they match. We grab our matching beach towels and head down to the pool. The pool the pool looked more clear up close than it did when I was in front of the hotel. Syd and I walked over to to pool chairs and threw our towels on them. We walked over to the pool and jumped in. The cool water felt so good. I haven’t gone swimming since last summer because I live in Michigan. I looked for Syd. She was coming up from the water her wet hair was sticking to the side of her face but I knew she was so happy to be here. Syd was always busy either in dance class, soccer practice or a basketball game she was never home. She saw me watching her and gave me this big cheesy that she knew I hated. Syd and I swam for only ten minutes then we climbed out of the pool and warmed ourselves up in our fluffy towels. We walked over to the counter and ordered some ice cream, Syd ordered strawberry and I ordered chocolate. Syd ate her strawberry ice cream very speedy while I sat there and thought about things. I think a lot when I

am looking at food and I don't even know why. For example last week when I was looking at my dinner I started thinking about the answer to the test question I took that day, weird but whatever I think a lot and that’s that. After Syd and I finished our ice cream we walked back to the pool. I layed on my chair, it was soft and nicely cushioned. . I think about what a cool life all the other people have in my life. How all the famous people get to party their whole life. “Why isn’t my life like that?” I think. I think so much I sometimes wonder why people think. I fall asleep and don’t wake up for a while.

“Ring,ring,” screamed the phone. I opened my eyes and thought about how great today was going to be. Then I thought about how I felt yesterday. I felt horrible yesterday. Every morning I wake up and my life is always the same. At six A.M. I wake up and take a freezing cold shower. After the shower I dry myself off with a fuzzy lemon-yellow towel. Then I slip on a clean shirt and jeans. I thump down the stairs, pour myself a glass of apple juice and toast my pop-tarts. I shovel all the food in my mouth and repeat until I’m done. Then I watch my mom make me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, pack me a juice, and a small stack of cookies. “What a boring life.”