The Perfect One | Teen Ink

The Perfect One

May 23, 2011
By Love16 GOLD, Roanoke, Virginia
Love16 GOLD, Roanoke, Virginia
11 articles 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
Psalm 23.


The perfect one. What an overused, dried out word. To me, it had no meaning. I've gone through my share of girls as much as any guy, but I've never found the one...until now. Last year, I met this wonderful girl. We hung out on our church's mission trip for the entire week. Three days in, I know that I have a crush on her. But I'm too afraid to ask her out. So we get back home and I'm about to ask her out when I can't find her. She had disappeared. I hoped and prayed that I would see her tomorrow at church but I never did. Two weeks later, I see her in a service and she sees me and smiles. I smile back and when someone taps my shoulder and I talk for one second, she disappeared again. I cursed my luck. Slowly but surely, a year passed along, with many girlfriends. But with everyone, I never felt that one spark that I did with her. And as that year passed, I thought that she had moved or stopped coming to church. But I never lost my love for her. Then as the morning came on my second mission trip, I arrive at the church and find her sitting there with her bags. My heart nearly melted at this point. So I walk over to the bus and throw my gear up in it and take a seat. She walks onto the bus and sits a few seats in front of me. When everyone else piled in and we started moving, my eyes were fixed on her. They wouldn't budge. For like seven hours, my eyes looked at her. When we got to the beach, we all got our bathing suits on and went into the ocean. For about three hours, I swam near her, just talking and catching up on lost times. I had to watch my words though, because my heart wanted to say to her "I love you." but my mind restricted the thought. So when we had to go back to the motel, I walked by her. Anyway, throughout the week, we spent some time together talking and working on our projects. And again, by the end of the week, I was in love with her. But this time when we got home, she didn’t disappear. Instead, she stayed around and still hung out with her even more. Then came this past weekend, when my friend stole my phone and shared those feelings that I had told him about. He ran to the end of the street to avoid my fist when the message was received. “I have liked you ever since my first mission trip” read across the screen. He showed me the words to my face and I stood there, frozen at the sunset. I unknowingly fell to my knees and screamed “YEEEES!!!!!” When we got back to my house later on after dark, I texted her some more. In one of the texts, she said that she wasn’t allowed to date until she was about 16 or 17 years old. My heart sunk a little at that point. But I texted back “alright, I can wait.” She took her time to answer back. When she did, she said “are you sure, that could be a while.” I smiled and texted “Nicolle, if I can wait a year to tell you that I like you, then I think I can wait a couple of months until you are older.” So here I am, waiting for her parents to allow her to date. And I think of her every day.

So now, what do you think? Would you say that is the one? I want to know. Do you think that it is just a minor infatuation that will blow over? Or is there something that is actually there?