Remember When | Teen Ink

Remember When

He forced a smile but it never reached his sparkling blue eyes. I could tell he was scared. I laughed taking his large hand in my own small one squeezing it reassuringly.
“You’ll be fine. I’m right here.”
The seats jerked to life, throwing us back lightly. He laughed nervously. His dear grew more intense with every click. Upon reaching the top of the hill his wide eyes sought mine streaming with fear.
“I’m never doing this again” His scream and my laugh echoed as the cart plummeted down.

“So I guess I’ll see you tomorrow,” he asked voice filled with anxiety. A light blush spread itself across my cheeks as I nodded once. He smiled that boyish smile that could charm even the grumpiest of old ladies. Drawing me into his arms, he squeezed lightly. I tipped my head up to smile at him, but was instead greeted by his soft lips. He pulled away a few short seconds later, judging my reaction. Blood ran to my face making him laugh. I watched his retreating back into the night. Pressing the pads of my finger tips to my lips, I smiled. Our first kiss.

“My mom kicked me and my sister out,” his voice muffled by his head in his hands. Laying my head on his shoulder, I rubbed his back offering a small amount of comfort to him.
“I’m so sorry.”
“We’re going to have to move to the next city over. I’m not going to be able to see you anymore.”
My heart shattered with those words. He pulled me to him, laying down on the swing. He pressed a kiss to my hair.
“I’ll miss you,” I said first looking into his ocean eyes.
“I know,” he whispered planting another one on me.
“I love you,” he whispered so quietly. It was three little words only meant for me, not the rest of the world. I thought time might have stopped along with my heart. A horn blaring brought us out of our reprieve. His sister waited impatiently behind the wheel of an old beat up civic. He left without anymore sentiments. What had shattered in my heat had turned to a fine powder.

It had been months since that faithful day and I hardly thought anything about him anymore. Finally discovering the wonders of Facebook, I was playing Farmville when the friend request icon lit up red. Clicking on it to bring about the drop down box, I saw my long lost friend. For the first time in so long, I cried. We talked about everything and nothing. Three days later, we lost contact again.

“Hey your long lost friend is here,” my brother pounded on the door to my house.
“I don’t want to see Chris,” I groaned at the thought of my brothers overly hyper friend. It also made me slightly nauseous.
“No just open the door.”
“I don’t want to bee Billy either.”
“Not him just open the door!”
“Not until you tell me who it is,” I bargained.
“It’s…” he uttered the name of my forgotten friend. I hadn’t seen him in a year or so. Throwing open the door, I made a B-line straight into his waiting arms.
“Are you ok,” I asked holding him. He nodded and squeezed harder.
“I’m so glad to see you,” he breathed.
“How is your drug problem?”
He only grinned sheepishly but shame pooled in his ocean orbs. I stood back examining the heroin tracks. A tear trickled down my cheek. He thumbed it away smiling soundly. A horn sounded.
“I’ve got to go,” he said, “it was great seeing you again.”
Once more I was drawn into his arms.
“I still love you,” he proclaimed for my ears alone. He pulled away and left me alone before I could utter anything back. It was déjà vu. He’ll never give me the chance to say that I lov…

“Are you going to go see him,” my mother asked gesturing to the dark maple wooden coffin. I glanced around the little church finding it deprived of life. I stood making my way to the front, my heels echoing. He looked as if he were sleeping, much like the many times he stayed the night at my house. I held his pale, cold hand and kissed his lifeless lips for the last time. Turning my back against the tragedy, I staked out of the dimly lit shelter. The last song began to fade away. I stood and listened, my hands rested on the heavy brass handles. The female voice drifted, “Don’t forget to remember me…” I closed the oak doors softly. The haunting melody of the grand piano ceased but will forever echo throughout my mind.