Today I'm Pretty

I looked into a puddle one day and thought; "today I am pretty." I had done my hair up in a messy ponytail and my makeup was just right.
Yesterday I was ugly but today I was pretty. The street was wet and running with brown, muddy water. I was the only pretty thing amongst the litter and ugly, identical houses that lined the street.
Today I was pretty. I knew that people would notice when I got on the bus. I knew people would take a break from their busy lives just to notice me.
I stood by the bus stop and waited for the plain, big, gray, bus to rattle up the street. I imagined the look on every ones faces. They would wonder who I was, where I was from.
The ugly gray bus trundled up the ugly gray street and I was pretty. I didn't feel fat or hideous. No today, I was a movie star.
When I stepped onto the bus I looked around for recognition. None. Although I'm sure I did see someone laugh and point. Yesterday I was ugly. Today I am ugly.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

Bookworm1998This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
i really like this - totally relatable