Baseball | Teen Ink

Baseball

By magathia18 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
magathia18 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Learning Life Lessons

Life lessons are those moments is our life that we hold on to, so we know what to do next time a problem like it comes up. There are minor changes that we have to make, but its almost the same solution. Some say we learn these from experiences, other say they come natural. But one man, Gary Schmidt, says they come from baseball.

Since he was around the age of 8 years old, he has been playing the game that teaches life’s lessons. His parents signed him up for a league with the boys’ scouts when he was 8 years old. During his years of playing he not only grew a passion for the game, but also had a passion for the lessons that were attached. He learned how to be a good friend. Constantly having to be there to support his teammates, even through hard games, and give them motivation. Listening to their problems and giving them advice.

Baseball involves many different types of players. So, many of the players have different talents. Learning to work with many different type of people was a life lesson, because he realized that not only did they all have to work together to reach the common goal of winning, but that if they didn’t use everyone’s talents then it would make it much harder. He applies this to everyday work situations. He works with co workers as a large group so they can get all of their work done faster.

Time management was another key factor that he learned from baseball. His parents told him that he wouldn’t be able to go to practice if he didn’t finish his homework first. He would rush home from school, to get a head start on his homework. Take a quick break for supper and then go back to hitting the books. This helps him everyday, because he knows what types of things need to get done at work, so he makes sure they get done before he can leave.

So next time you need that extra life lesson, turn on the television and watch some baseball. Or pick up a glove and toss the ball around with someone in the backyard. Not only will it be a good time, but some lessons will be learned.