But That Was All Right, Because They Were In Love

He didn’t quite know what to do with her, when they were together. She didn’t like diamonds, and thought movies rotted people’s brains. The color of her hair changed with her mood; he had never seen it the same two weeks in a row. She danced even when there was no music. Her clothes came from thrift stores, never matched in the slightest, and were forever in need of another button, a few patches, or a stitch in an obvious place. She sang off-key to strange songs that no one had ever heard before, and laughed just a little bit too loud.
But that was all right, because that was her, and she was beautiful.
She didn’t quite know what to do with him, when they were together. It was a mystery to her how he could care so much about other people. He was forever helping, offering to hold the corner of a poster here, or let someone borrow a book there. He made himself seem like one of them, dressed like them, walked like them, talked like them, but he helped even when other people would just pass by without noticing. Sometimes, he tried too hard, even when they didn’t want help. Sometimes, he helped the wrong people, and only made things worse.
But that was all right, because that was him, and he was kind.
People didn’t quite know what to do with them, when they were together. He was tame; she was wild. She painted her ceiling with dying angels and flying saucers and galaxies made of flowers. He spent his weekends cleaning up his neighbors’ yards, just because he had the time. He was the principal’s aide. She was nearly suspended for not saying the Pledge of Allegiance at the school assembly. She was never still, and he was always calm.
But that was all right, because that was the two of them, and they were in love.

daughteroftheking said...
This is a really neat look at a relationship :) I love it!