Powerful | Teen Ink

Powerful

I walked steadily almost unsure through the double corridor. Anxiety racing through my vanes. Nervous but so excited too! Bags in hand I proceeded through to my room. I placed my sleeping bag in the far corner of the room. Lines of teens filled the hallways and filled the lobby leading up to sign in. I signed in, received my pin and my shirt. I was ecstatic! I met up with my team after worship that night. My leaders were great, filled with laughter and so much fun. We arrived at our project home to fix, bright and early the next morning. Our home owners name was Ruby, a beautiful British women. We examined the parts of the home that needed to be fixed. We started on the project with determination. We worked as a team, fixing the windows, doors and most importantly changing the life of the home owner. By the end of the week we completed our project as well as made amazing friends that helped us learn way more about God. I was a part of an amazing wonderful experience. I participated over spring break in Flower City Work Camp, an organized christian group that repairs homes for people. After Flower City was over I knew that I was closer to God and that I created everlasting relationships. I also learned that I had the power to make such an impact on people in my very own society. I knew after that experience that I had the power to change the world, even if it was just one person at a time.

I went to this when I was in 8th grade. It was a very rewarding experience, one that not only changed others lives but changed mine as well. It was great. I made friends and helped others. It was wonderful. I loved every second of it and remember it as though it was yesterday.