Invisible Girl This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

A cellphone goes off every two minutes. iPods are on full blast. Everyone is shouting as if the person they're talking to is on the other side of a football field instead of right next to them.

Boys and girls, welcome to the annual Ridgeway High senior class retreat.

The two teachers in the front of the bus, who I consider war veterans for supervising this trip, attempt to maintain something that loosely resembles order. Looking from their perspective—and probably yours too—I see chaos on a level that could rival a Jonas Brother concert gone wrong.

From my seat, I am witnessing social anarchy like I'd never seen before.

The geeks fill up the first five rows. They're even seated according to subject, with the math and science nerds in the front (the Calculus and Physics teachers were supervising). The middle rows are taken by the middle class (no pun intended): the artsy crowd, drama club, emo-girl making out with her boyfriend, etc. In the very back are the populars and the wannabes worshiping the old leather seats they sit on. The jocks blessed with their football skills as well as their All-American boy charm. The platinum blond cheerleaders who were baptized in a solid gold font filled with Evian. The Queen Bee has strategically seated herself between her star quarterback boyfriend and his best friend—who she's secretly hooking up with.

Somewhere in this well-thought-out seating arrangement, is me. I have a entire seat to myself, between the art freaks and the chess club. No one looks my way. It's just me, myself, and my iPod. It's not that I'm an outcast or a freak of high school nature. I just . . . don't fit into a group. I'm too preppy to be emo, but I'm not into the cheerleader scene. I can't draw or sing, and though I do alright in school, I'm not smart enough to be a geek. The only thing I'm passionate about is music, which isn't exactly a group activity.

My favorite song starts to play, so I dial up the volume as loud as it will go to be able to hear it over the noise.
“When I first saw you standing there,
you know, it was a little hard not to stare.”

Not to sound all woe-is-me but why can't that happen to me? I mean, I don't want a throng of friends following me everywhere, but it'd be nice for someone to notice me once in awhile. You know, to assure myself that I'm not walking around in Harry's invisibility cloak.

I watch cars pass from my window. It's raining, which doesn't exactly perk up my mood. There's a very thin layer of fog on the window. Anything I draw on the glass won't be seen, but I write four words anyway.

Judith A.: invisible girl.

Surprisingly enough, I can see every letter as I write it—not clearly, just a faint imprint. It's only when I look at the entire phrase that it disappears. Gone. Like they never existed.

Aderes18 said...
May 30, 2011 at 5:25 am

I can totally relate to this piece. :)

I love it! 

leafy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
on the contrary, i like the title, i think it fits well. i also liked the length. i think that if it went on for more than 100 words or so it would get a bit boring, and if it was much shorter, then it would just be too short. good job and keep up the good work!

Jsweetness replied...
lol thanks=). if theres anything you want feedback on just ask. and if you want, check out some of my other stuff (don't just by titles cuz im bad with those xD)

Just.A.Dream said...

I love this! :) It was so heartfelt and I never wanted to stop reading it! Honestly, I was really disappointed it was so short!

I like how you portrayed the main character's feelings. How you made her feelings of being invisible touch the reader's heart. :) I felt kinda bad, I felt like I was reading somebody's personal feelings.

You did an amazing job with this story. I'm not a huge fan of the title, but the story makes up for it! Good job!

SpringRayyn said...
I love this! I write about this kind of stuff too like all the time. Well, not really really like this, but close. Nice work!

GzusFreak10 said...
Wow, this is really good! Keep it up, girl! :)

Jsweetness said...
thanks so much you guys=). it really means alot

Smartzy said...
i already told you this.. i love it :D   :)

stickyfingers said...

<3 I really loved this story! I think that we share the same feelings, ironically enough, I am writing a short story about a character who experiences this as well. I really love to read your work whenever you post! :)

Love,

stickyfingers

Jsweetness replied...
awww thanks=). thats such a great thing to say especially coming from a fellow writer like me. I'd love to read some of your work sometime=)

stickyfingers replied...
I would really like it if you would. I will try to get some up ASAP. :)