Gone. | Teen Ink

Gone.

By LeighMT GOLD, Calgary, Other
LeighMT GOLD, Calgary, Other

It takes a long time for a man to look like his portrait.
::: James McNeill Whistler :::

My body was slammed into the wall, I lost my breath. Gasping I turned around to see the light swallowed by the darkness of the box. A sudden jolt of the room made me slam my nose into the ground.
I fell over but made no effort to get up. Sprawled on the jagged floor I could smell fear. Hundreds of frightened dogs had sat in this room before, waiting for what would happen next. What if I die here, I silently despaired.
The wall suddenly opened up, letting in the bright sunshine. My eyes adjusted fast enough to see a big hand reach for the scruff of my spotted neck, but it was too late to run. Yelping I tried to bite the human with my razor sharp teeth. I couldn't reach so I snarled, but this only made him dig his nails deeper into my skin.
The human dragged me into a dark building thick with the odour of thousands of suffering dogs. Whimpering was ringing through my ears and lost dogs called out for their owners. As my eyes got used to the darkness I could see rusting cages lined along the cement walls. The glow of a small light was the only thing that kept me from blindly stumbling. The man stumbled over a chain, and looking into his eyes, I could tell he couldn't see well.
"Another mutt? We'll only have space for a day for him to stay!" A lady bent over a rotting desk sneered in my face. The man dragging me let out a low rumble, a laugh I presume. With a clatter, he opened a small gate to a cage threw me in. Landing on my paw I felt a jolt of pain and whimpered.
Closing my eyes I waited for what seemed like forever. Something was going to happen to me but I just didn't know what. Anguish radiated from the other animals, upsetting me. The drone of the other dog's whines soon lulled me to fall into a fitful sleep.
Darkness surrounded me and I knew I was dreaming. The aroma of barbecued beef engulfed me and emerald grass surrounded me. Looking up I saw an impossibly blue sky dotted with puffy white clouds. A warm summer's breeze embraced me, obliterating all worries. It was so perfect; I never wanted to wake up. Suddenly, I felt the ground split beneath me and I plummeted. Hitting the ground, my eyes flung open and soon I remembered. I was in a dog's worst nightmare. Little had I known, that was the last time I would see the bright sun, or feel the tickling grass, even though it was just a dream.
A muscular arm reached towards me, smelling of garbage, and grabbed my paw. Dragging me out of my cell, he opened a black door I hadn't noticed before and heaved me in. Bright florescent lights burned my eyes and I limped into the corner, shivering.
The kindest human I had ever seen strode into the room, a tray in her hand. She wore a long, pale coat and the spiky shoes that clicked on every step. Her long chestnut hair was placed in a bun and thin-framed glasses perched on her nose.
Picking up a long spiked stick with clear liquid inside she hugged me murmuring, "I'm sorry... I'm sorry... please forgive me, you'll be in a better place." Jabbing the stick in my leg I looked into her eyes and connected. I understood. A comforting darkness surrounded me, numbing my body, soothing my soul. Her voice echoed through my mind, I'm sorry... My legs went limp and I sprawled across the floor. Closing my eyes, I let go of the last of my life. I was gone.

This is a story about animal cruelty and how people kill animals in pounds too soon.

LeighMT GOLD said...
LeighMT GOLD, Calgary, Other

::: James McNeill Whistler :::

Thank you so much :D It really means a lot!

on Nov. 24 2010 at 9:14 am
Vanendra BRONZE, Blasdell, New York

"I just sneezed and it hurt my pelvis."~Jasmine Omg
"A wise girl kisses but doesn't love"~Marylin Monroe
"I didn't tell him nowhere where you live" ~me ^-^
"I like the wolves on this textbook, they have very legs" ~Jasmine Omg

I love your work!!! keep on keepin on ^-^ <3

LeighMT GOLD said...
on Nov. 9 2010 at 9:08 am
LeighMT GOLD, Calgary, Other

::: James McNeill Whistler :::

No, you are!

Ainse BRONZE said...
Ainse BRONZE, Calgary, Other

"If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad." -Lord Byron
"Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life" -Mark Twain

No!! You're amazing!!!

LeighMT GOLD said...
LeighMT GOLD, Calgary, Other

::: James McNeill Whistler :::

Aww thank you so much! :D I thought the perspective would be good for this kind of story.

Psshhh you're so much better!

Ainse BRONZE said...
Ainse BRONZE, Calgary, Other

I love this story!  Very descriptive and in an interesting perspective.  You're a great writer! :)