Tell Me Why | Teen Ink

Tell Me Why

By JustBeingMe123 BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
JustBeingMe123 BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois

My vision blurred, and the room started spinning. I gripped the sides of my chair, scared I would fall over if I didn’t. The room felt like it had become over a thousand degrees, yet I’m the only one who felt the heat. No… it couldn’t be happening. This couldn’t be the way it ended. Warm tears fell down my cheeks as I tried to gasp for air so I could speak. My world had just fallen apart.

“No!” I screamed suddenly jumping up. The doctor nodded slowly, no expression on his face.

“I’m very sorry Taylor, but your mother is… gone. There’s nothing we can do,” he said in a monotone voice. At this point, I was sobbing like I’ve never done before. Was he just going to stand there like nothing was wrong? I looked around the waiting room at the expressionless people waiting. Did they not care that my mother was dead? Did they not know what was going to happen to me? I started screaming at the top of my lungs. The doctor tried to soothe me by touching my shaking shoulder, but I shook him off and started running towards my mother’s room. The doctor tried to catch up; but I was no match for him, for I was too fast.

“Help! Security!” I heard the doctor screaming frantically, probably to get me; but I didn’t care. I didn’t believe him. My mother was not dead. When I open her door, she’ll be sitting there, reading her favorite book, a smile on her face. She'll be better than she's ever been before. My mother’s a fighter. She would never let this disease get to her. She promised me she was going to stay forever…she promised me! My mother never broke a promise!

I started running faster and faster. My lungs were on fire, but all I wanted to do was to see my mom again. The people running behind me didn’t matter. They were all lying. My mother was still alive.

Her room came into view; and I knew when I opened that door, she’d be sitting there, smiling at me. She’d say that I was worried for no reason, that the doctors had just made a mistake. That’s exactly what she would say. My mother is one in a million, and that’s why she has the chance to beat this disease; and she will beat it.

At this point, her room was a few feet away. All I had to do was reach out and turn the cool, metal doorknob. I placed my hand on it and turned it, pushing the door open. There, laying as cold as a brick, was my mother.

“Mom!” I screamed, but she didn’t answer me. The doctors had been right. My mother had not beaten the odds. She was gone from this world, forever. My life would never be the same, for my dear mother had passed away from this horrible disease of cancer.