The Crush | Teen Ink

The Crush

By Kaitlin Whalen BRONZE, South Plainfield, New Jersey
Kaitlin Whalen BRONZE, South Plainfield, New Jersey

“Why me? Why me?” Miranda kept asking herself that over and over again as she nearly
sprinted to her home. “I never did anything to deserve this!” As she got to her front porch, she
ran inside and darted up the spiraling stairs that lead to her room. She immediately jumped into
the shower and right as she got out, it felt as if her whole world came crashing down around
her. “Why me?”

Miranda was the new girl in school, or as Joyce Anderson liked to call her, “the freak.”
Normally Joyce is nice to everyone, but once Miranda came and bumped into Joyce’s boyfriend
Collin, everything changed.

“Watch where you’re going freak!” Joyce yelled at Miranda the first day. “No one wants
your ugly fat walking into people!”

“Sorry.” Miranda said quietly. It was the fourth month of school, and even though the
first day was long ago, that moment and those words Joyce had said couldn’t leave her mind. As
Miranda sat alone at the big round table in the corner by the window, she saw Joyce and Collin
about to approach her. She tried and acted like she didn’t notice them coming, so she pulled
out her ham and turkey sub and began eating it.

“Hey Miranda,” Joyce said just as they reached the table, “I know I haven’t been very
welcoming to you, but I wanted to apologize. I’m throwing a Christmas party at my house this
Friday, and I wanted you to come so we can get over the stupid drama and become friends.”
Right as she handed Miranda the invitation, Miranda looked up, smiled and said,

“Thanks, I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to go.”

“Great! Just let me or Collin know if you definitely can.” Just then, the loud “ding” filled
the room notifying the students that it was time to change classes.

“Hey, you should definitely come, it’ll be fun.” Collin smiled and winked at Miranda as
he hurried out into the hall to beat the wave of students that would be rushing from gym.
Miranda’s heart sank at the sight of Collin winking at her. “Maybe this year won’t be so bad
after all.” She thought to herself.

Friday night rolled around, and it was time to go to the Christmas party. Miranda was
ecstatic and couldn’t wait to see Collin. As she got there, Joyce greeted her at the door.

“Hey Miranda, glad you could come.” Joyce said in a mischievous voice. Miranda began
to wonder why she had said it like that, but the Collin came up behind Joyce and told her to
come in. Everything was going great, and Miranda couldn’t get over how great Collin looked;
short spiky blonde hair, eyes as blue as the sky, tall, slim but muscular, he was perfect in her
eyes. As they danced, she began to wonder, “Why’s he dancing with me. I’m nothing like Joyce,
she has long curly blonde hair, eyes that match Collin, and she’s tall. Me on the other hand, I’m
short, chubby, brown eyes with short wavy brown hair. Why’s he being…” right before Miranda
could finish her thought, Collin leaned down and kissed her.

“Hey, let’s go up stairs.” He said.

“Okay.” Miranda agreed still in shock. As they traveled up the stairs through the
pictures, she noticed Joyce hovering by her room with a group of friends, right before her and
Collin entered a room, she saw Joyce smirk at Collin and nod her head.

“You okay?” Collin asked.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” She was nervous, she couldn’t believe Collin was actually kissing her.
“Is this really happening?” she kept asking herself. All of a sudden, she didn’t feel right, like
something bad was about to happen and she wanted to get out.

“I have to go.”

“No, just stay, it’ll be fine.”

“I really have to go, please, just let me go!” she began to shout. He covered her mouth
with his hand, and she couldn’t believe what was happening.”

“Why me?” she was still asking herself that question as she was finally able to
recuperate herself and go to school. She always thought that she was never the kind of person
that something like this would happen to, she’d always seen herself as an innocent girl, that
nothing ever bad would happen. She dreaded the thought of going to school. “I don’t want to
do this, but I have to. I can’t miss any days, just breathe.” She kept telling herself. “Everything
will be alright.”
Everything wasn’t alright. The moment she walked in the door, everyone stopped what they
were doing and stared at her. “They all know.” She spoke without knowing.

“Yup, they all know.” Joyce whispered in her ear with the same smirk she had on her
face before her and Collin entered the room. “They knew. They had it all planned out. That’s
why they invited me. That’s why he brought me upstairs. That’s why she smiled! They planned
it out!” The room was spinning around her as she gathered everything together. The worst part
though, no one knew the truth. She overheard a group of girls whispering about how she
drugged Collin’s drink and that she raped him. “That’s not what happened!” she screamed at
the group. She ran out of the school and all the way back to her house.
The next few days were the worst for her. She kept getting texts, calls, posts on facebook,
calling her all these names and saying she was worthless and she didn’t deserve to live. She
couldn’t take it anymore, she felt as if she was going to explode into a million pieces and no one
would even care. She couldn’t tell her foster parents, they didn’t care, they’d probably tell her
to deal with it or they’d send her back to foster care to find a new family to live with. As she sat
there staring at her computer with a blank expression, a message popped up on her facebook.
It was from Joyce.

“I can’t believe you actually fell for it. You’re so dumb, you actually thought Collin would
want you? How pathetic are you. You’re worthless, you’re fat, you’re ugly, no one wants you.
Haven’t you noticed, everyone thinks the worst of you. You’re smart for not coming to school,
it’d only be harder on yourself. You know, everyone feels bad for Collin, it all worked out
perfectly. I mean, who would believe you, you’re new, I don’t care that its been four months,
you haven’t talked to anyone, and everyone thinks you’re a freak. If I were you, I wouldn’t show
my face anymore. You might as well delete your facebook since all you get is hate mail and
what not. Get it through your fat ugly head, NOBODY LIKES YOU! And as far as anyone is
concerned, you’re the one who raped Collin.”
That’s it. That’s as much as she could take.

“I can’t take anymore.” She told herself over and over again as she made her way to the
medicine cabinet. She took 15 pills, and went and laid down on her bed. She fell asleep, but
never woke up.

“Why hasn’t Miranda come to school?” A student asked their homeroom teacher.

“I thought you were all aware, but Miranda overdosed on sleeping pills, she passed
away a few days ago.”

After those words sank into Joyce and Collins heads, they were never the same.

CrazyWriter GOLD, Lorton Station, Virginia

"Once you have given up on the most important thing in your life, you begin to die, because then, you gradually lose your true self"~Hana Kimi
"Someone who can lie to themself. . . is lonely, and in pain"~Hana Kimi

this was very deep. It had a good plot and is an example of bullying. You hadme feeling distressed when i read it. when they started kissing I was suspicious, then when he took her upstairs I  almost scereamed no!!! you guys are all Jerks!!!! I t was great my only CC (constructive Critisim) is maybe explane more about why Joyce hated this girl sooooo much other then she ran into hr boyfriend.

~CrAZYwIrTer

btw my articles lovvveee 2 b read