From Across the Room

Do you ever think something is too beautiful to touch?
You just think you’ll ruin it.
It won’t ever be the same.
Can this be true about a person?
A person who looks so perfect as is, you’re afraid to approach that person, talk to that person, even smile at that person.
Imagine a boy.
He has black hair that falls over his eyes.
And you think, that’s a shame.
He has beautiful eyes.
The deepest blue eyes you could find, with rings of green. So unique. So amazing.
He loves reading, loves poetry, painting.
He loves being alone.
He’s such an odd boy.
His style…you can tell he doesn’t care what other people think.
And you love the way he dresses.
He loves writing.
And you only know this because you glance at him everyday as you sit down for lunch, next to your friends. Next to your enemies.
He always sits alone.
But you can’t walk up to him.
No matter how hard you try, how much you want to, you can’t force yourself to do it.
What if you walk over, talk to him, as no one else does, and he changes.
He changes all his perfection.
All his mystery.
And when you pass him in the halls, you want to shout out to him.
What is his name?
Does he talk at all?
What is he reading?
What is he writing?
And a guy like that deserves a better introduction.
Something more creative than to just walk up.
Pretend you have no creativity.
You can’t even think about the possibility of talking to him.
So that’s plans done.
And…
You can’t help but wonder, does he ever notice you?
You don’t think so.
But picture yourself in a study hall. You’re seated alone.
Out of nowhere, you see him walking gracefully toward your table.
For a second, he just stares at you.
He sits in the next seat over, opens his spiral bound notebook, then turns to you.
And he says the simple word you’ve wanted to say to him for so long…
“Hello.”

AsIAmThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really love this.  I think we all have that guy, and even though you take something that happens to every. single. person. (at least once), you say it in such a playful and original way that it doesn'f feel overdone. I enjoyed it a lot. I'd have to say, my favorite line is "And you think, that's a shame." The only think I would take out is "He's such an odd boy" - you do such a wonderful job of showing that a snippet of telling cramps your style. ;)

SeanzahAngel said...
I really liked the story, to be honest. I don't think the character's appearance was cliche at all. I thought it gave him a somewhat mysterious profile and, even better, made him sound like the perfect guy.
I like how you put all of the real emotions in it. How someone would really feel if they were to talk to someone they have wanted to talk to for so long.
What I didn't like is how he turned out to be a jerk. ): I'm sorry to hear that. (Got it from the comments.) Better luck next tim... (more »)

JustAnotherOwl replied...
Aug. 12, 2011 at 3:53 pm :
Absolutely! He broke my heart twice and my friends had to put me back together piece by piece. But now I've learned. And I've got a giant crush on a lifeguard who I'm pretty sure hates me. But, hey, what are you gonna do about it? Thank you so much for your comment! :)

ritabelle511 said...
Jul. 7, 2011 at 2:28 pm:
I love this story! And....I think the guy sounds hot. Just saying. :) Wonderfully written - it sounded like something I'd be thinking! Does that  make sense? Fantastic job!

JustAnotherOwl replied...
Jul. 7, 2011 at 3:16 pm :
Sadly, he turned out to be a jerk. But whatever; at least he gives me something to write about. Thank you so much!

HaleyDRog. said...
Jun. 3, 2011 at 10:20 pm:
I thought this was great and unlike everyone else who has commented, I actually like the appearance of the guy. It makes him more mysterious. I liked the plot and I also like the way you ended this. Nice job!

JustAnotherOwl replied...
Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:33 pm :
Thank you! (: AND thank you for not complaining about the guy's appearance!

CarolynQ said...
Mar. 26, 2011 at 5:17 pm:
I like the way you break up the piece. I love the thoughts and the picture you made complete, and yes although the male figure is a tad cliche it gives us the image of that mysterious boy. I like this piece I'm happy I can finally read other peoples pieces thanks to you!!!! :)

BrielleM-JustAnotherOwl- replied...
Mar. 28, 2011 at 6:56 pm :

Thank you! (:

Actually, I'm getting a bit frustrated with the whole 'his looks are too cliche'. THIS IS WHAT AN ACTUAL GUY THAT I LIKE FROM AFAR LOOKS LIKE!

Phew. I just needed to say that! Anyway, thanks again, & thank you for not saying his looks were a complete failure! (:

CallMeFelix said...
Good job! I agree with preachy a little bit about the appearance thing...you know, dark hair and blue eyes. I also agree with preachy about everything else mentioned...so yeah, you can just refer back to that comment lol. keep writing!

thepreachyteenagerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 9, 2010 at 10:04 am:

I liked...

-  the storyline and concept

-  the ending

-  the thoughts of the girl and how you depicted her ideas about him

I didn't like...

- the cliches looks of the guy.  It's like every story now a'days had the exact same male character!  Those looks are very nice, but just too many other stories use them...

Random stuff...

Maybe have another part of this where you include the dude's thoughts?  Just a random ide... (more »)

spitfire213 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 9, 2010 at 9:26 am:
i like how you wrote it out so the writing had a good rythm to it. your topic is definitely something almost every girl feels in one way or another. very relatable.  good job!

Healing_Angel This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 9, 2010 at 7:30 pm :
This is relatable for many people. I agree with everyone else. The detail and story are great, but just change the guys appearance. Good work.