A Beating Heart | Teen Ink

A Beating Heart

By datrumpeter PLATINUM, Jefferson City, Missouri
datrumpeter PLATINUM, Jefferson City, Missouri

'Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes. that way, when you insult them, you'll be a mile away from them and you'll have their shoes.'

I could feel my pulse pounding all throughout my body- at my jaw, my wrist, my fingertips, my ears, and most importantly, my chest. I knew my face was bright red, and I didn't know how to hide it other than looking down and letting my hair slide like a curtain over my features. I thought of how loud my heartbeat must be. I thought of how he must be laughing at my terror, my fright. And I tried to make myself walk forward, tried to run away. Finally, my legs obeyed me and I fled, my hair flying out behind me. I could still feel my pulse pounding, and as I slid down the outside wall, sitting in a heap on my concrete, I started crying. MY tears fell in time with the beat of my heart.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
She wouldn't look at me, and I could feel my pulse pounding. Just staring at her made my heart speed up and made me clumsy and scared. She stood alone by the lockers, and her face colored bright red. Her hair hung forward in front of those features I loved, and I walked toward her, intending to finally talk to her. Then she fled. I stood there- head stretched out in the direction she ran, and my pulse pounding ever louder. For a second, I stood there, tettering on the brink of angiush, and then I followed, albeit at a slower pace.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I heard footsteps, and I tried to make myself invisible. No one ever noticed me anyway, and if the did, all they'd see were the tears. I brushed my hair back around my face, and I wiped the last tears away and sat there silently, waiting to see who was coming out of the building. I balked when I saw it was him. Had he come to humiliate me further? But no, when he saw he, he gaped at me, then came over and pulled me to my feet. He stood quite close, and just stared at me. I started crying again, though silently this time, and he wiped the tears from my cheeks.
Then I heard it. Another sound beside my pulse. Another heart, beating in time with mine.

I got the idea from Edgar Allan Poe's "The Tell-Tal Heart" though this is considerably happier.