Her Silent World Became My World | Teen Ink

Her Silent World Became My World

By Monica@Roman SILVER, New Haven, Connecticut
Monica@Roman SILVER, New Haven, Connecticut

"This too shall pass"

"Alright guys time to get off and move on with your lives" Our bus driver hollers at us over everyones noise. Its the first day of school..yay (not really). Its not that I dont like school its just I dont like to be around this hostile enviroment. people hating eachother and making everyone else feel bad about themselves. Ugh, it makes me sick.
As I get out of the bus I see a freshmen walking towards the building. I look at her because she was wearing a blue and pink dress with a blue scarf around her waist. I like it. It seemed nice on her petite body. I'm walking towards the medal detector when that freshmen passed through it, it beebed. The security guard stopped her and asked her if she can take off an medal accessories she might have. She laughed and took off her earrings. I passed through it and walked up to her.
"Hey I like your dress, you're a freshmen right?"
She nodded, must be shy
"So what school did you came from?"
She just blinked at me, confusion showing up in her expression.
"Are you ok?"
She nodded again and walked away, slowly as if telling me she couldnt speaked to me. Ok maybe shes really shy. I mean I would be if a Senior walked up to me all random..right? I went to the cafe and sat with my group. "Have you seen the swarm of fresh meat today?!" says Alex in his divious tone "Alright more idibidies to scare!" he laughs. When he says meat he means the poor little freshmen who are about to get teased by him. "Oh please, Alex" his girlfriend is across from him, rolling her eyes. "Leave those poor babies alone" she mocks him.
"Why not? We were treated like trash when we were meat"
I chuckle, secretly hopeing he shuts up. I hate it when he talks that way.

I search the cafe with my eyes to see if I can see my friend Manny. We've been besties sinse 5th grade. My eyes find that girl whom I talked earlier. She sat in a round table all alone, reading HuckleBerry Fin. The bell rings when I see Manny walking towards our table "Are we skipping today?" he smiles down at me. "Dude, its the first day!" he shruggs.

In Chem which is my favorite, we are learing about some acid that can make a penny dissapear in a matter of minutes, when she walks in.
"Oh hello miss..."(the professor looks at her attendant sheet "Maya Williams?"
She nodds. "Ok, plaese take a seat behind Mary" I raise my hand. And she looks down like in shame or something. As she walks by me and the scent of flour sweeps up my nose. Not the plant, the cooking ingrediant. --Thats interesting-- I thought. While the professor turns her back to us and writes a scinetific equation the board, I turn my torso to the freshmen behind me. "Ok what your deal?" I say impaitiently "I mean I was nice enough to say hi to you this mourning and when I looked at you in the hallway you turned the other direction..I mean was it something I said?" I'm one of those people who get mad if you puch my bottons enough times for me to spaz out.
She just shakes her head from side to side slowly and she smiles at me. I get up from my seat and turn on her "whats so funny?!" I kind of yell at her. The professor immediatly comes on.
"what is going on Miss Margo?"
"nothing" I turn to the professor
"nothing" I say. But she gives me detention anyways.
Even though this is my favorite subject her and I have never gotten along. She's very strict and she didnt seem to care if this was the first day.
When the last period bell rings I head to Chem and sit on my seat to serve half an hour of detention. She hands me an essay on acids and liquids and tells me to write a 50 word essay on what I learned from it. I dont complain because I know she'll come at me again. Ugh, this was all because that girl. That girl, I dont know why I'm so drawn to her but she has something that makes me believe that I've seen her somewhere..I want to keep pondering on this thought, but I only have 20 more minutes to complete my 50 word essay. The professor get a call from the chinese food delivary she ordered.
"I'll be right back..dont you go screaming at walls or something" she leaves the rooma and I am tepmt to raid her class room. But that would be too mean. Then I hear the knock on the door. I get up thinking it was the witch but I look down to see the girl who got me here in detention. She gives me a little folded paper with a smiley face on it. When I look back up shes not there. I hear the broom come down the corridor and I shoot for my seat. I scribble down fast on some stuff I skim from the reading. I'm almost done 20 more words. Its 2:30pm im gonna miss my bus if I dont hurry. I'm out the door at exactly 3:00pm and I'm in the bus stop at 3:08pm. I'm a good runner. I notice I still have the note she gave me, I'm holding it in my long fingures. I open it but the bus appears and I put into my back bocket of my jeans. I get in the public bus, put on my head phones and blast paramore into my hears so make my heart stop trying to lash out my chest.

I lay in my bed starring at the cieling, when I remember the note. I take from my back pocket and open it slowly. I stare at her hand writing which is small not really reading it. I focus my eyes ive been having trouble seeing wods lately. The note was written with black ink and really neat:

Hi, my mame is Maya I come from Colorado and I'm sorry I got you in trouble today. I didnt mean to make you mad, sorry. and I cant respond back unless your're willing to learn about my world. you see Im deaf. I learned sign language back in 3rd grade. And I try to communicate well...thanks for being nice to me.---Maya :)

My jaw drops. I feel nausuos alomst instantly. "Aww man" I bury my face on my pillow and doze off. I wake up and take a shower and get dreesed for school. --I have to apologize to her--, I think to myself, --Its the least I can do.--
I bump into her in the corridor. "Hi" I say "I'm sorry I yelled at you and for being mad, its not your fault" And we stand there starring at each other for a moment then my mouth opens and the word that come out changed my life forever "Will you come take a walk with me?" We were walking to her class and I talked about this school and the stupid rules and requirments and my freinds. Manny liked her hair. I asked if she had a Facebook and she saud yes and weve been talking all year. making plans to go to the movies and I introduced her to my friends and they all seem to like her and introduced me to her family and her dog Scruffy. I would ask her to teach me how to say "leave me alone" or "bite me" in her language. And we wuold laugh for hours. she wrote on her notebook and explianed to me that her family owns a Backery down town.
--That explains the flour smell--

One day we had art and we were drawing 'birds of the wild' When I noticed some juniors laughing and pointing at me. "what you laughing at?!"
"You know that handicapped girl, right?"
"what?!"
"yeah" the other one joins in. "tell her that he wants her to be his girl" they both start laughing and pointing at eachother. I get up from my seat and stomp toward thier table.

"Shut Up!" I say, they just laughed some more. then i knocked down all their tools and scream loud and clear. "SHUT UP! YOU DONT KNOW WHO YOU'RE TALKIN' ABOUT. SHE WAY TO GOOD FOR EIGTHER OF YOU TRASH AND SHE A PERSON WHO DESERVES SOME RESPECT SHES WAAAY MORE MATURE THAN YOU TWO WILL EVER BE. AND I SWARE WHEN I LEAVE THIS SCHOOL AND I FIND OUT THAT YOU ARE BUGGING HER I WILL COME BACK HERE AND SCREAM SO LOUD THAT ALL OF YOU.." I turn to the class "WOULD HAVE TO GO TO HER AND LEARN THAT LANGUAGE TO EVEN COMMUNICATE!!"

My throat is burning and I stomp out of the building. turn on the ignition on my brand new car i got last month and make the tires make think black marks all over the the parking lot. I blown up and volcano of pure anger has taken over my body. I went home and aet the whole bucket of ice cream in the fridge to sooth my burning neck and slept for a while.

I woke up to see me mother looking down at me. "They called from your school" She didnt look mad just worried. "I know what happened..hon'are you ok?" I tell her what happened and my freindship with Maya. she was compassionate with me because I've introduced her to Maya and they hit it off great. "What are you gonna do?" It takes me a minute to respond "I don't know."
A few moments later my mom gets a call on her phone.
"What?!" a few secounds later
"What happened?!" My mom is in a panic now. I can only look and my heart is pounding louder and louder in my ears as her eyebrows clump together and her lips quiver.
when she hangs up..."Hon'.. Maya.. is.. dead" All the energy I got from my nap all the anger just went away. Maya is gone. My mom cries and and runs to her room. I don't move. Until I hear my mom starts crying louder. She really love Maya. I dont even know what happened. But I dont want to know that right now. I get up off bed like a zombie and walk slowly to my car. I start it up and just sit there...Maya is gone..my idibidi freshmen..is gone from my life forever. I drive slowly i dont know where..until I realize what I'm going to do. I turn back to my school and step on the gas. Tears start pouring out of me. I can't make them start. I run inside the builing dripping my mascara all over the place. I know what I must do..I'm in the main offie when the student of the month makes the annoncements. when she done i come ovr to her and grab the microphone.
"Hey!"
"And Rest In Piece to Maya Williams"
I drop it on the ground and walk away..I had to do to that I just had if I dont do it, who will? Certainly not anyone in this dump. These people are so full of themselves..it make me sick. This place is so stupid and I had to live with these monsters for almost 4 years now. And Maya was spared from all the humiliation, the anxiety, the torture..

I walk to my guidence councelor's door, breath in deeply and think, ---This is for you, idibidie--I slam the door open and see those boys who I was screaming at before. I can see thier fear of me, which makes me feel like a monster too. Just like everyone else here.--Its now or never--I turn to the middle aged women in the worn out office chair. "I want to be a translator for sign language." She blinks at me and hands me a tissue. She tells the boys to wait for her out side. I sit in the couch and wipe off all the mascara.
"Ok" says the women "Where do we start?" I look out the window and hear Maya's laugh in my mind. I sigh and say "Let's start with Maya"

I was inspired sinse i want to learn american sign language..I thought of how poeple make fun of the deaf and it made me angry so OI typed this off out of anger I quess

"This too shall pass"

thanks..will do :)

meganwagner21 PLATINUM, Old Bridge, New Jersey

"Sometimes good things have to fall apart so better things can fall together." -Marilyn Monroe
"Nobody can go back and make a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." -Maria Robinson

it wuz a gud idea and i like it alot, but there a few spelling errors and it seems a little cheesy at times. try to make it more real

on Sep. 10 2010 at 8:25 am

"This too shall pass"

thanks sis ;)

on Sep. 10 2010 at 8:24 am

"This too shall pass"

wow thank you so much :) im glad u liked it

Shawna said...
Shawna, Fremont, Nebraska

"Every man dies. Not every man really lives." My great great so many great Uncle William Wallace

My gosh that was so touching, it made me cry, such a sad yet happy story, that was so amazing, I think this should win a big award and get you into a collage of some sort.

"This too shall pass"

thanks for the critique i knew something wasnt complete in the story. lol ..im also thinking of adding a secound part to this this...look out for part 2 :) i just started to learn sign language and i love it...ill make sure i do some more research next time..thanks again ;)

BrookeAlison SILVER, Rancho Santa Fe, California
This is a beautiful story, but it was kind of confusing... why did the girl die all of the sudden? And deaf children do not attend public school unless they are very skilled at lip-reading. I also am learning sign language. Some spelling and grammatical errors, but otherwise very nice.

yooo man this stuff is deep. i luv how the friendship was not like alll the others it was special. I LOVE HER WORK!!!!!!!