The Call | Teen Ink

The Call

By sbear406 GOLD, Summit, New Jersey
sbear406 GOLD, Summit, New Jersey

A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials.
Read more at

It was a typical Friday morning and Ella was looking forward to finishing off her last few days of the seventh grade. The alarm sounded at 6:55 A.M. which Ella quickly reacted to by pressing the snooze button.

“Five more minutes,” she decided to give herself.

Soon enough, the five minutes passed by and Ella rolled out of her bed, onto her white carpeted floor, dragging her colorful comforter down with her. She then proceeded to lay there for an extra minute and finally decided she’d better get up, otherwise, she’d be late. Pulling out a cute outfit to wear for one of her final miserable days in seventh grade, Ella noticed her pink bag with purple polka dots in the corner of her eye. She stared at it for a minute then quickly shook away the thoughts traveling through her mind.

After sorting through the limited amount of clothes in her closet, Ella chose to wear a pair of denim capris, a white shirt with a blue floral pattern and her go to pair of pink flip flops. Brushing out her tangled chestnut hair, Ella realized that it was too messy to keep down. She flipped her head downwards and pulled her hair back, tying a pink scrunchie around it, purposely trying to match her pink flip flops.

Breakfast was a bowl of cereal, a sliced up apple and a glass of cold milk. Ella sat down at the kitchen table and immediately took a bite out of the delicious looking apple. It was a deep red color and made her think of the poisonous apple the witch gave Snow White. But knowing the apple was not poisonous; Ella continued to eat it, enjoying the sweet juices that escaped the apple each time she took a bite into it.

“Good morning, Ella,” greeted her dad as she ate breakfast.

Ella responded to her father with a half-hearted, “Morning.” She did not consider herself to be a morning person. What bothered her most was when people tried creating peppy conversation with her after she’d just woken up. She wanted to tell them to be quiet and leave her alone, but she had been taught better by her parents. Instead, she had to put up with people, her family included, and try her best to be pleasant in the early hours. Ella continued munching on her apple and soon finished it. Just as she was about to shovel a spoonful of cereal in her mouth, the phone rang. Her mother answered.

“Hello?”

“Hi, is this Mrs. Collins?” asked the voice on the other line.

“Yes,” responded Mrs. Collins, curious as to who was calling her.

“Hi, Mrs. Collins, this is Bethany from St. Andrews Memorial Hospital.”

“Oh, hi Bethany, is something wrong?”

“No, no, nothing is wrong Mrs. Collins. In fact, I have some great news. We have found a match for Ella.”

“Oh, my…”

“Mrs. Collins, we need you to get down to St. Andrews as soon as possible.”

No response.

“Mrs. Collins, are you okay?”

“I’m sorry, yes of course, we will be there as soon as we can. Thank you.” Bethany hung up the phone but Mrs. Collins continued to stand where she was, tightly griping in her delicate hands.

“Charlotte, who was that?” questioned Mr. Collins.

“That was Bethany from St. Andrews,” she responded. “They have a liver for Ella.” Ella dropped the spoon she was holding, spilling the cereal and milk it held onto the stone floor. She looked up at her mom.

“This is it,” she thought to herself. She then climbed back up the stairs to retrieve her pink bag with purple polka dots.

This piece is about a normal girl who needs an organ transplant. Here, we see her receiving the news that the hospital has found a match for her. The family must now travel to the hospital for the risky, long surgery.

datrumpeter PLATINUM, Jefferson City, Missouri

'Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes. that way, when you insult them, you'll be a mile away from them and you'll have their shoes.'

wow. just wow. is there more? was the transplant sucessful? whts wonr with her liver??

Blue4indigo PLATINUM, Sturbridge, Connecticut

I'd rather be sorry for something that I did than for something I didn't do.
-Red Scott

Great story, very interesting, very descriptive!

By the way, would you read some of my stories, rate, and critisize? I'd appreciate it.

SHOELACEx3 SILVER, Summit, New Jersey
This is so good!! I love the way you keep what the bag is a secret until the end!

LihuaEmily SILVER, North Kingstown, Rhode Island

"It is said that there's no such thing as a free lunch. But the universe is the ultimate free lunch." -Alan Guth

Excellent! I want to know what happens and more about these characters. Great job!