Tears Through the Mirror

The rough words spoke from your gentle chapped lips scraped my heart raw. Your eyes, they’re exhausted and cold. You stand in defeat, head down, shoulders hunched as you drop to your knees and silently sob to the tune of death. I peer curiously at your helpless body and extend my hand. But not far enough, not far enough for you to grasp. Because, do I want to help? Do I want to care? Or shall we just stay here pretending like I tried? I rest my head against the cold glass of the mirror and drop beside you. You’re so close yet so far, and together we are alone on this mission called life. I turn away from you and press my back flat against the smooth fingerprint smudged surface, cock my head back, and relive myself with a long piercing sob.

MaddieGr This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow.. you captured emotions well.. I liked how the narrator offered help as an impulse then rethought it.

xobriannexo replied...
Aug. 30, 2010 at 11:02 am
Thank you. One thing I wondered before I go to edit this, is did you catch that the person she was trying to help was herself, as in her own reflection in the mirror? Or should I try to add something else in to make that more noticable? Your help is greatly appreciated :D