Please Look Away

By , Salem, OR
The teacher stood in front of the room. He wouldn't shut up about something about health. Or was it science? But it gave me time to think. I knew I would get an A on his test, so why listen to worthless correction?

She sat next to me. Her hair fell in her face as she did not pay attention. She was to busy staring at the F on her hand-back papers. She did not look sad, shocked or even upset about the bad grades. She only looked neutral. Like a lake that was drying up in the sun.

Movement. Everyone in the class was still, even me. I was staring at the wall behind the teacher, but the girl next to me was moving. Opening up her binder, she pulled out a pair of sharp scissors. I gritted my teeth together and looked sharply at her.

"What?" she whispered as she stabbed the blades down on her wrist. The skin burst open and started to bleed slowly. I winced. There wasn't enough blood left in her for to bleed.

I noticed a boy turned around to look at us. His eyes were wide and his face was disgusted. I felt the need to protect her. To make the boy stop looking.

"Turn around." I whispered to him, but he didn't listen. Still staring at her.

What happened, I was not sure. In the principle's office, I was told that I hit the boy in the face four times. I could not remember. But he looked away from her. She was safe. From everyone else that wanted to put her away. She was safe. But now I could not be there to protect her from herself.

sleeplessdreamer said...
Good job. I like the simpleness. Don't like the last line. Very confusing and detached from the rest of the story. Curious: what are you trying to say here???

sleeplessdreamer replied...
OOPS!!! haha... ok, misread the last line. Thought it said "protect her from myself" Ignore that above comment. This is fabulous.

KK2013 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Wow, omg that was creepy. but good.

I do not understand your simile of the lake drying out in the sun...  what were you trying to say?

i don't know what it is, but the last paragraph's wording bugs me..... IDK. 

Wow, good job!

brennamarie said...

Wonderful. Simply wonderful.

You gave me a shock, without really giving me one. :)
That takes talent for sure.
Keep writing and I will keep reading.

Gabriella.MM said...
This was so straight forward, but in such small words it had so much meaning and power

hannahd772 said...
this is powerful. i don't feel embrassed to read it, even though it seems that i should. i really like it.

BaileyBaby13 said...
Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:23 am
that's exactly what I was thinking,(:

Ellawind said...
Wow- really powerful and there, even though it wasn't that long. You don't even need to know what happened next- you just know that what happened, happened and what's going to is going to. It's like you're watching it unfold through a window and you can't do anything about it.... I dunno. Great job!

givemetherapy said...
wow, i loved this.

LastChapter said...
raw. straight forward. you really out it out there, not hiding it behind kind words of encouragement, or a promise that she would get better, that everything would b ok. i loved it.

1marge13 said...
Jul. 10, 2010 at 12:59 am
this is good, really good.

Day-Dreamer17 said...
I like the way you wrote this. It leaves enough to our imagination to let people wonder, but you give enough emotion to it so we all aren't completely clueless. Keep writing!

Shelly-T said...
this is powerful

Inkspired said...
this is a really great story, I love the huge meaning that went into such a short piece. Amazing!

queenofspades This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

thats a really heartfelt meaningful story!

i loved it!

i would be really greatful if you checked out some ofmy work!          thanks :)