A Lesson Learned | Teen Ink

A Lesson Learned

June 9, 2010
By MonologueManiac BRONZE, New City, New York
MonologueManiac BRONZE, New City, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

A 19 year old teenager named Danny lives in New York City. In the monologue he is located in Central Park on a bench with a young kid next to him reading a comic not paying attention. It is a beautiful spring morning. The monologue begins as Danny is thinking to himself. Then, he speaks to the kid.

“Words hurt more than actions, but together it can seriously harm a person; do you understand?"
“Good. I’m going to tell you a story that is personal and I would like you to tell me how it makes you feel. It relates to what I said before about how hurts.”
*When someone looks back at my life, they see the change not instantaneously but gradually. Change drives us all to do new things, go to new places and to just experience life. It would be foolish to try and look at each individual event and determine the underlying cause. What has happened to me continues to happen and happens to everyone, everywhere. Here is my life story. Listen and understand.
“The first occurrence would have to be when I was in kindergarten. As we lined up to leave the room, I don’t remember why, though I don’t find it important, a girl walked up to me and took my glasses right off my face. She ran away and hid my glasses and returned... I cried. After my glasses were returned and as we were about to leave, she called me four-eyes.”
*As I tell my tale, my insides churn and I feel nauseous. I will get past it; I will get passed what has happened. As life moves on so must I, to feel what I didn’t before and to experience what I have not experienced yet.
*To think that human cruelty can even affect a kindergartener to do such acts and say such things. What makes a person think to do such a thing? Since then I was continually bullied until I said enough was enough. I guess, I just want to make sure it doesn’t happen to other people. Will actually work? Probably not but I hope it just haves some kind of impact on these kids.
*“One day at a time--this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering.”
“So, that’s what brings me here, some park bench, talking to some random kid.”


The author's comments:
This is a fictional monologue I wrote.
Anywhere theres a * means that he is thinking in his head. (He talks within the monologue but no one responds)
The first paragraph is the given circumstances.