June 8, 2010
By lexiloo444 BRONZE, South Burlington, Vermont
lexiloo444 BRONZE, South Burlington, Vermont
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I woke up to my mom fluffing my pillow .

“The doctors will be in soon,” she said. I wanted to rollover and die.

“What are they doing to me this time? Taking more blood? Connecting me up to more tubes? Injecting me with more needles -” My mom cut me off.

“Kay stop with the negative attitude it’s hard enough .”

“Mom I’m not dead… Yet.” She gave me an evil glair, the kind she gives dad when he lets me do something she doesn’t approve of.

The door opened and the nurse walked in

“Good morning Kay, how was your night?” She had a sweet voice but I knew there was more to her story.

“It was great, I absolutely love laying on tubes in this godly uncomfortable bed.” My mom nudged me and whispered too stop so I did; for now.

“Well Kay,” the nurse said, “I’m going to take another sample of your blood. This procedure will happen daily.”

“Okay, whatever.” As she was taking the clear tube out of my arm I stared at her name tag. It had a bunch of stickers on it, and said Meghan. What a stupid name.

“All set,” she said. My thoughts got interrupted by her annoying voice again.

As the annoying nurse walked out, my dad walked in.

“Here’s some doughnuts pumpkin,” He said.

“Thanks Dad,” I said with relief, but before I could put the delicious doughnut in my mouth my mom snatched it from me.

“Nancy!?” my dad said. She gave me and dad the look again.

“Kay, you can’t eat this.”

“Mom I have cancer, I’m not bulimic.” I took the doughnut back and my dad gave me a kiss good bye. He was off to work, leaving me here with paranoid Nancy and annoying Meghan.

A few days passed, and I was free to leave this gas mask they call a hospital. I was so relieved I almost went back to school. But my parents said it would be best if I stayed home for a week or two.

When my mom, dad and I arrived home I plopped on the couch and watched MTV. Then my mom came into the living room.

“Kay, the doctors said you needed your rest. Why aren’t you in bed?”

“Mom I am resting; just on the couch.” She rolled her eyes and walked away. I feel that whenever she talks to me someone is slapping me in the face. That’s how painful it gets.

The next morning I woke up feeling great. No doctors, no nurses and no needles. But there is still my mom. Yet for some odd reason I’m not bothered by her. I guess the medicines really do work.

I got out of bed and went into the kitchen to get some food. The first think I saw was a banana so I grabbed it.

“Just be careful Kay, the doctor said you have to eat right or you’ll get sick again.”

“All right mom.” I said while walking away as I peeled my banana. I took a big bite and it felt great; real food instead of mushy mashed potatoes at the hospital. I sat on the couch and watched whatever was on. I closed my eyes for what felt like a second but when I opened them it was 3:00.

Night came faster that I thought it would. I guess that’s what cancer does to you. First you feel fine, then you get poked with needles, then you loose your hair, then you get tired and then you die. I’m just waiting for the last step. It’s not like I want to die, but that’s just what happens. It’s life.

I got out of bed and took a shower. I was feeling hungry and well enough to eat more than a banana. I turned the knob and wrapped my towel around my body and left the bathroom. When I was putting my pants on, I was feeling a little dizzy. I just shook it off. It’s nothing.

I walked into the kitchen and asked my mom to make me a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich. My mouth was watering when I watched her fry the bacon.

“Here you go honey.”

“Thanks mom.” At first I thought nothing of it, but when I saw my dad walked out of their bedroom I was confused.

“Why is dad home? And why is mom not questioning everything I do?” I asked the question in first person hoping I would get a quick answer. But I got nothing except mom and dad looked at each other.

“You guys are weird,” I said as I took the rest of my sandwich in the living room.

I could hear my parents whispering, but I couldn’t quite make out what was being said. A few minutes later my parents came in and sat me down on the couch. I could tell something was wrong.

“Kay, we need to talk.” My mom started to cry. So my dad had to takeover.

“You know we love you with all of our hearts. Don’t forget that. But we have to tell you something.” There was a long pause. I was starting to get worried. My dad started up again, “The hospital called. They got new results on your blood tests. We’re not sure when-” he stopped. Then started to cry. I couldn’t let him finish, I knew what was going to follow his sentence. I closed my eyes and stopped breathing. They held me in their arms for hours. I didn’t want to let go.

It got to around 10:00 p.m. They told me they loved me one more time before they let me go to bed. In a way I wanted to sleep in their bed with them; but I thought I’d be fine tonight… So I thought.

Similar Articles


This article has 0 comments.


MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!