Things Happen For A Reason | Teen Ink

Things Happen For A Reason

June 3, 2010
By Samantha Barrett BRONZE, South Burlington, Vermont
Samantha Barrett BRONZE, South Burlington, Vermont
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I had the surprise of my life when I opened the door and saw you.
You were right in front of me, kneeling down on the ground. I wasn’t sure if it was what I thought it was. Could it be? Then I looked closer. Zoomed in with my eyes like the optical zoom on a digital camera, right to your hands. There, what I saw, was happiness. It was a tiny little box in which you held.
As you opened it slowly I pictured in my mind what it would be like if we really did get married. Then in a matter of seconds, I saw it. I saw what I would be wearing on my finger forever, the bond between us. The love that we shared, and always would.
It was the most beautiful diamond ring I have ever laid eyes upon. I knew that we would have a wonderful life together. Then all I was waiting for, four words to come out of your mouth.
Then as your lips opened slightly I heard you spit out, “Will you marry me?” That was my queue. I was speechless, so surprised and the happiest I have ever been. I had never seen it coming, but yet it was still the most perfect moment. I then managed to say “I do.” As you slid the ring onto my finger, I knew. We would have a long and happy life together, and that we did.
Ten years later our lives were perfect, well, pretty much perfect at least. Nobody’s lives can ever be truly perfect. We had our fights now and then but what we did have was a wonderful relationship, beautiful children, everything we had every wanted. Everything that anyone could ever wish for. I was as happy as I ever was, and so were you. We were not in finical trouble, we traveled many times, which had always been our dream, and had fun wherever we were at the time. I loved everything just the way it was.
Until that day, January 29th 2003. I remember it to a pin point, everything about it I remembered. I tried to forget about it and move on, but I knew in my heart that I never could. This day was the worst day, of my entire life.

It started off as a good day. I woke up in the morning, rolled over and saw your face. That right there, made me happy. We got out of bed together and we each woke one of the kids up for school. We went down stairs and got our morning burst as we drank our coffee and the kids came downstairs to eat their breakfast. Then I drove Kayleigh to school, and you drove Keegan.
My day from there just kept getting better. As I walked into my office I found a small note on my desk. On the note it stated that I had won the case I was fighting. I went over some paperwork, did some research for another case, and finally went to tell my boss I was leaving work for an unforgettable evening. When I got there, it was different than usual. He wasn’t working on anything, just sitting there with a smug smile on his face. He told me to sit down. I didn’t know what was coming, I was hoping it was good. He then told me that due to some of my recent work that I had done he had finally decided to give me a raise, a big raise. As I rushed out the door to get started cooking I screamed thank you as busy as I was.
I only wanted for this night to be perfect, our anniversary night. We had been married for ten years and everything was going great still. So I got started, I went to the grocery store than to get the kids from school. When I got home I went straight to cooking. I was making your favorite dish and had the perfect gift. Our kids babysitter had picked them up and I gave you a call. I asked you to get home soon because the weather channel said that there was going to be snow and icy roads later. You said you would try.
Three hours had past since the phone call. The roads were terrible and I was as worried as I could ever be. I was waiting for you to walk in the door any second now but instead I got a phone call.
It was you. You said that you were just leaving work and you would give me a call once you got closer to home. A sense of relief came over me as I heard your voice. So I waited for about 25 minutes and then you called again.
When I answered the phone, it wasn’t you. I heard a voice over the phone say Mrs. Mitchell? I said yes and then I heard the person again. I froze, stunned and speechless my heart broke into a million pieces. I was never ready for what I then heard. The person had said that there was a bad accident and they wanted me to come down to the office. In my heart, I knew. I dropped the phone and drove my car all the way to where we met wishing for another chance. I was just waiting for you to walk by and have everything the way that it was. Nothing happened, I was hysterical and crying the most I have ever cried. I immediately picked my kids up and hugged them tight, for I know you would of wanted me to be with them.
I wished you would of come home earlier that day, and I feel guilty. I feel like I am the reason you died. I could of tried harder to get you to come home, but I didn’t. My life hasn’t been the same since that day, and never will be. I wish I could go back and change things. I now truly understand how things can change in a matter of seconds. Some things happen for a reason, some don’t. I’m not sure why this had to happen, but I am sure of one thing. I will always love you, no matter what.