Crayons | Teen Ink

Crayons

By Kasumi BRONZE, Mequon, Wisconsin
Kasumi BRONZE, Mequon, Wisconsin

Life can be hard and sad, but there is good things in life, too

A pile of crayons covered the table in front of me, lined up in color order. Red sat at the left, all the way to violet at the end. The variety of colors all looked beautiful as the flowed into the next color. With so many different shades, the crayons felt as if they sprang with soft velvet life that warmed my small pale fingers. Yet, two crayons still needed to be placed in the row. Black and white stood alone at the side of the pile of crayons and I couldn’t decide where to put them. I thought for a while, wondering whether white should go to the right and black to the left or black on the right and white and the left. Then, I think a little longer and wonder if I should put them both to the left or right. I shake my head as I get off the chair, leaving the black and white crayon to the side. Opening the back door, I step into the fresh brisk air outside, leaving the crayons to decide themselves where black and white should be placed in life.
My arms swing from side to side, as I skip down the road. For some reason, I still consider each spot I could place the two colorless crayons. I try to think where they belong in a rainbow, but black and white are not in a rainbow. No place seemed to fit for either of the crayons. I tried to compare the crayons to life. Where does black and white fit into life? My head began to daze and it took me a few minute to realize I heard yelling. I turn my head toward the noise and saw a man with dark skin like the night sky and a pale old man with wrinkly skin. Both of their voices attempted to rise over the other, debating a conflict I tried to pick up on.
“You filthy black scum! How dare you insult me!” the old man shouted with rage burning though his eyes.
“I didn’t do anything you white racist devil!” The black man spat. For a while the argument went back and forth and I still had no idea why they called each other “black scum” and “white racist devil”. None of it made sense to me. A random flash of a memory flashed into my head. My mother once told me of people who judged people on their skin. I remember I didn’t get it because why would anyone care what color skin someone had? Did they not like the color on them or something? But my mother explained that the conflict went back many years ago and that people for some reason see the world as black and white, right and wrong, left or right. I still didn’t know why.
The yelling grew louder, rougher, ruder and many people turned their heads to watch. Loud insults rumbled in my head until I wanted to slam my head on the wall. Unable to tolerate the yelling, I turn my back from the two men and walk back to my house. Their voices continued to ring in my head until I got far enough for the voices to fade. When I got home, I found my mother came kitchen; waiting for me to come home. She welcomed me with a warm smile and I beamed at her. Remembering the crayons, I went straight to the table where the crayons rested. The colors smiled at me, happy to see me, happy to shine, happy to be life; however, the black and white just stared blankly. I reached for the black and white crayons and felt the smooth wax in my hand as I walked to the garbage. When I let them slip from my hands into the trash with a thump, I wondered why do I see the world so full of color, but others do not. I stared down for a moment; then, faced my mother, noticing she watched me with a hint of confusion.
“Why did you throw away those crayons?” She asked me, a hint of curiosity in her voice. I could tell her so many things, so many reasons. I didn’t a moment of hesitation to answer.
“Because the world isn’t in black and white.”

Healing_Angel SILVER, Sydney, Other

Live for today, not for tomorrow

I really like this! Very descriptive and interesting. I love the ending too! I love the lesson on racism that can be learnt from this.

on Jun. 16 2010 at 8:54 am
Your welcome! Now you're gonna prove me wrong with your next piece... but if you did, that means your next piece would be bad because I said this one was pretty good :P

Kasumi BRONZE said...
Kasumi BRONZE, Mequon, Wisconsin

Thank you! This really helped! ^^

Simon Cowel feedback—you asked for it!

So, you asked me to knock you down so you can pick yourself up again and prove me wrong—well this is the worst story I’ve ever read in my life. JUST KIDDING!!! J

It was good, I think it would be incredible with a couple of adjustments…

The first things I saw was that you were a little too descriptive at times: “fresh brisk air outside” only needs to be brisk air or fresh air or brisk outside. Pick one. I would look at other descriptions and see if you want to make them more simple. I’m on the fence about every other specific example I might be able to find because this piece has a good, whimsical kind of tone that needs a lot of colorful descriptions that flow together pretty nicely. I think the flow of the paper is kind of thick though, so if you find ways to cut out some extraneous modifiers here and there, I think that would be just enough to make this a masterpiece.

The other thing… I thought the dialogue between the white guy and the black guy was kind of corny. Maybe you did that on purpose or maybe that’s what racist people call each other in your area—but I might have a conversation between them that makes them both look stupid for being racist. For example, the white guy might use a bunch of stereotypes against the black guy, or he would say something like “You black people are taking over our country” or “You’re ruining America with your rap music” or something incredibly stupid like that; the black guy would be like “the white man’s just trying to bring me down! You just hate me because I’m black!” and stuff like that.

I totally agree with your message and I think it’s pretty cool how you used a rainbow and then discarded the black and white colors altogether instead of including them in the rainbow. It’s a great way to show how stupid racism is. Keep up the good work!

Kasumi BRONZE said...
on Jun. 13 2010 at 9:07 am
Kasumi BRONZE, Mequon, Wisconsin

I did notice that too! I am really angry I didn't see that before I posted! thank you! 

on Jun. 13 2010 at 9:01 am
Inherinerd GOLD, Ashland, Ohio

A word to the wise ain't nessecary it's the stupid ones that need the advise

I just have to say one thing... there was a tense shift in the story. it started out past and then went present. other than that amazing though!

on Jun. 13 2010 at 8:59 am
Inherinerd GOLD, Ashland, Ohio

OH My JEEEEEEEZZZZZ !!!!!! That was amazing!!!! Descriptive, interesting and it also had a lesson or a meaningful theme! if i had to rate it out of ten i'd give it an eleven!!!!!! Amazing
!

on Jun. 12 2010 at 9:51 am
Sketched97 PLATINUM, Silver Spring, Maryland
This is so good! I love the end part of it, I feel like it really leaves you thinking. good job.

Kasumi BRONZE said...
Kasumi BRONZE, Mequon, Wisconsin

Thank you! ^^ 

--LoveHappens--, Fairfield, Connecticut

"A friend is someone who knows you, but loves you anyway"

Wow I really enjoyed that it was amazing!!!! My favorite line was the personification "Opening the back door, I step into the fresh brisk air outside, leaving the crayons to decide themselves where black and white should be placed in life." I thought that it fit perfectly great job...  I loved the writing and the ending.... you took such a common horrible topic and changed it into something so simple.... great job!!!!!!