The surgeon | Teen Ink

The surgeon

March 22, 2010
By mak14 SILVER, Park City,, Utah
mak14 SILVER, Park City,, Utah
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It doesn’t matter who your are, or what you are, It doesn’t feel good to ski into a rock. The only fun part about it is the helicopter ride to the hospital. But if your unconscious, your not going to care. It took the chopper about 10 minutes to fly from the ski resort, to the hospital, or so I was told afterwards, and get me inside. I had regained consciousness then, and saw two doctors arguing over me. The tall one, seamed to want to get me right into surgery, while the other one wanted to do x-rays first, to see what the damage level was.

In the end I went for the x-rays. I had to take off all metal objects, and then the rolled me onto a metal bed with x-rays above and below me. It turned out that I had fractured my skull, and collar bone. I also had brain damage, so they would have to do surgery. The same two doctors were now arguing over who was going to do the surgery. I was starting to get tired of them talking like I wasn’t even in the room. A nurse came in and said something to the tall doctor. He glowered and stocked off. The other doctor came close to me. His name tag said Will on it.

He looked at all the machines I was hooked up to.
“Your heart rate is fine,” he said, “better than we hoped for after an accident like that.”

“Who was the other doctor?” I asked. Remembering how much they seamed to hate each other.

“That was Ray Sumeriz. He is the other doctor at this hospital.
“What were you fighting about?”
“He wanted to send you straight into surgery without finding out whats wrong. You could have bled to death while he tried to find out what was wrong with you.”

“He would have risked it?”

“If he had pulled it off, he would have gotten the promotion that we are both after. Power has always been his weakness. But now I need to operate. I’ll see you when you regain consciousness.”


What felt like seconds later, I woke up with a huge headache, and a leg cast. Will Walked in drinking a coffee. He looked tired.

“How long have I been out?” I asked.

“Eight hours. Turns out your skull was fractured in two different places. And you had lost some blood, so that didn’t help either. On the bright side, you’ll have some pretty neat scars. But you are probably hungry, considering that you haven’t eaten in 12 hours and you lost two pints of blood.”

As soon as he said it, I realized I was very hungry. A nurse brought in a tray of food and I attacked it. Will started walking around, checking the monitors, for my hart rate, or looking at The IV in my arm. It was still filled with a clear liquid that looked to be about half a pint left. I had been hoping that my family would come soon, but I knew that as soon as they found out I was okay, they would just stay at work until they had time to come and see me.

After I finished eating, Will came back in.

“We’re going to keep you here for a few days,” he said, “Just until you have all your blood back in you.”

“All right. What am I supposed to do then?”

“you have a TV in your room that we can hook up to a x-box if you want. or a nurse can bring you something to read. Once we get that IV out of you, you can order a meal from the restaurant downstairs.”

“Great. Can I have my phone back so I can text?”

“I’ll go see if I can find it.” He said. “Do you remember where it was in your ski coat?”


“Lowest right pocket. The phones blue and slides up for the keypad.”

“Okay, Ill be right back.”

Five minutes later, he returned with my phone. It would have been a great way to stay occupied, only the battery had died. It was early morning now, and another nurse came in to ask me what I wanted for breakfast. After I had ordered and eaten, Will came back in.

“You doing okay?” he asked.

“yeah,” I said, “Just a little dizzy.”

“Well, thats to be expected,” But it looks like you get to go home tomorrow if you stay stable throughout the day.”

“Oh, great”

I wasn’t that eager to go back home. My parents were always working, and my brother was off doing one thing or another. Just the thought of going home was giving me a headache. It felt like I had just hit the rock again.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Will asked looking concerned.

“Just a little headache,” I responded, “It will probably pass in the next few minutes.”

And then everything went black. As I lost consciousness.


To be continued...