Tempest | Teen Ink

Tempest

By sesquipedalian GOLD, Surabaya, Other
sesquipedalian GOLD, Surabaya, Other

"It goes on"

The little rain droplets raced against each other, leaving fleeting trails across the dusty window. The pitter-pattering of the rain had a placatory effect on the severity the classrooms emanated: everything was less daunting and austere, seeming more contemporary and refined. The window overlooked the school gardens, full of lush green shrubs shaped into mythical creatures; tall, old, sturdy trees branching out and providing shade for tired teachers and couples looking for secluded areas alike.
Soon, the drizzle turned into a thunderstorm. As the light flashed and the sky rumbled each time, my heart sighed. I wished to escape, the monotony of this lecture. I craved to feel the rain run through my hair and drum on my face. I thirsted for the earthy smell of the wet grass and the sight of a puddle sparkling under the downpour; to pirouette through the garden would make my day.
After a shower, like today, the garden was flawless—a perfect place to lose yourself, or even find yourself. I smiled, realizing that there were only ten minutes left to the end of the day. Ten minutes to happiness; ten minutes of pure agonizing anticipation; ten minutes before I could run rampant into the garden. I stared out the windows, watching the droplets mingle and hasten.
But as the sun burst through my eyelids, I woke up to the dreary reality in the desiccated, sun-drenched tropics when all I wanted is my lush thunderstorm. It’s like getting an amaryllis when you wanted a bouquet of white roses.