Washing Away | Teen Ink

Washing Away

By ihavecutefeet BRONZE, Park City, Utah
ihavecutefeet BRONZE, Park City, Utah

The rain pounds against my car like bullets from the internal war brewing within me. My knuckles turn white as I clutch the steering wheel tighter, as the memories of the last couple of days flood through my mind. I look outside the window, the rush hour highway dances with reflections from headlights, glistening with secrets, daring me to come dance with them. On a whim, I open the door. My bare feet touch the cold ground, I feel a thousand icicles crawl up my spine. The rain engulfs me, wiping away my past and making room for the future. A man in the car across from me shouts “Lady… you crazy?” Maybe I am I think, and a smile crawls up from my soaking lips.

My perfect curls I left work with, are now a mass of straight twigs, covering my face and with it, my past. I sit down and lean my back against the car, more blaring horns fill my ears. I look at the crowded highway; each car seems to hold a frustrated prisoner, usually gaping at me. My gaze drifts down to those lovely headlight reflections, they frolic around me laughing and begging me to run with them.
“Ma’m?” I look up and I see a police officer in a tight, sopping uniform, defeat and anger are plastered over his face. I smile, a real smile.
“Ma’m are you all right?” he says crouching down to my level. I meet his hate baring eyes.
“Never better,” the words crumble out of my mouth, effortlessly and for the first time in a long time, honestly. He shrugs his shoulders and trudges to his cop car, not caring enough to learn more.
“Sir!” I yell after him. He stops and turns around obviously annoyed, and eager to get out of the rain.
“Sit with me,” I gesture to the spot next to me. A thousand emotions run over his face, after about a minute, he lifts his face up to the leaking sky and smiles. He hesitantly makes his way over to me; he sits next me without a sound. A sigh escapes his grimacing lips.
“Look,” I point to the reflections. His eyes dance with them over the road, I watch him evaluate the world. A warm silence caress us, in no hurry to be broken. We sit for a while, just sitting, watching, waiting. After a while he slowly stands up.
“Thank-you,” he says quietly. He humbly walks off, taking a moment to nod at the cars still stuck in 5:00 traffic.
“No!” I say once he’s a way, I look up at the sky and find my lips moving in a silent prayer, “Thank-you”.

Have you ever felt so suffacted by your on life, that you needed an escape? I have, one day i just ran out into the rain, and sat there. Sometimes, a simple element of nature can wash away your worries. Doing something totaly insance, can be the best escape from the dark cobewbs in your mind.

Kay4theRoses said...
on Mar. 17 2010 at 10:42 am
Kay4theRoses, O&#39brien, Florida

"all's fair in love and war." And "Beware of a fat man whose belly doesn't jiggle when he laughs."-A Chinese philosopher. =)

i liked this story.

it was awesome how you portrayed your image and feelings perfectly without giving a history about ethier people in your story. and you only had to use two people.

it'd be cool if you(open invitation to all whos reading) checked out some of my newest stuff and told me what you think. rate.

ihavecutefeet BRONZE, Park City, Utah
Thanks :) It makes a huge difference when people take the time to tell you what they liked about your peice, instead of just simply saying "I loved it" :)

ihavecutefeet BRONZE, Park City, Utah
haha.. she said it was scattered brained and confusing. i think she miss read it though, cause she made alot of comments along the sides that made absolutley no sense to the peice.

ihavecutefeet BRONZE, Park City, Utah
Wow.. you put that perfectly. You summed up the whole message of my peice in 2 sentences. I'm so glad you got it.. my English teacher gave me a C on this paper

t0xic_tomato GOLD, Somewhere, Pennsylvania
I love these moments. When you just do something on a whim, possibly verging on insane. It just silences all the voices in your head and being happy becomes the easiest thing in the world.

moso said...
on Mar. 12 2010 at 12:22 am
The similes and metaphors in this piece are amazing. The first paragraph is chocked full of them and enhances the piece a lot. The ending to this was very sweet - bittersweet. Although at some parts I was confused about who the woman was, overall this short entry is great.