Dance is Expression | Teen Ink

Dance is Expression

February 19, 2010
By Madison Brammer BRONZE, Moore, Oklahoma
Madison Brammer BRONZE, Moore, Oklahoma
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dance is expression. Well that is what my teacher always told me. I am a small town girl. I teach dance at the only studio within 50 miles of my house. It is amazing what I can teach the girls and I learned it all from my teacher.

I grew up in a town called Shady in Montana. When I was four, my mom asked me if I would like to take dance classes. I was hesitant at first, but like every child I wanted to try it.

She took me to a studio near our house and introduced me to my teacher. At my first lesson my teacher told me “Always remember, Dance is Expression.” That stuck with me for the rest of my life.

From the time I was four until I graduated from college, I was very serious about dance. Growing up, my dream was to be a dance teacher. I had learned from the best and wanted to encourage young girl like I had once been, just like my teacher had encouraged me.

When I graduated college I went to the dance studio I learned in. My teacher was still there and she hired me. Although we had a big age difference we became close friends. When she died she left the studio to me, and I have been running it ever since.


Each day I wake up and think of the wonderful Mrs. Lucinda that taught me how to dance. I ask myself the question, “Am I teaching the girls to the best of my ability?” All I can say is that I know Lucinda would be proud of me. I went for my dream, reached it, and then made it someone else’s dream.


Without dance I would not be where I am today. I am glad I accepted my moms offer to take dance classes and I will forever be thankful to Lucinda for teaching me all that she did. She inspired me and changed my life. I love and thank her for that.

The author's comments:
My friend Victoria dances and has made me learn to love dance so this story is dedicated to her.