Never Again

Never again shall he breathe in his favorite scents, his mother’s cooking, the smell that clings in the air after it rains.
Never again shall he savor his favorite tastes, his mother’s cooking, the taste that clings in the air after it rains.
Never again shall he see his favorite sights, his mother’s cooking, the way everything looks so splendidly clean after it rains.
Never again shall he hear his favorite sounds, his mother’s cooking the sound of only water drops as it rains.
Never again shall he touch his favorite objects, warmth, water, his favorite sweater, his favorite book, a spring leaf, his family, his mother’s cooking, the water that just rained down on the ground.
Never again shall he consider anything, remember his favorite thoughts and moments, his mother’s cooking, everything about the rain that just fell.

But he will always be remembered, never forgotten, always loved and missed.

In loving memory of my nephew- who- is- a- year- older- than- me, Denise.

Basketball4everr said...
this is good- sweet and filled with raw emotions that people can probley relate too- good job

beautifulpeople said...
Beautiful! Absolutely moving(:

lostnhim said...
Its a great poem... Im sorry for your loss...

writergirl13 replied...
Thank you!

Nala96 said...
Wow! I really like your piece! Is this a true story? if it is, im sorry for your loss:(

writergirl13 replied...
Thanks! It's a true story, but we weren't particularly close or anything. I just felt inspired so I tried to do a freewrite about it. It's great to get feedback because I only have a few pieces on TeenInk, and it's AWESOME to get comments and responses!

alchive This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 13, 2010 at 9:35 am
I really like it- i could feel the emotions in the words. "his mother's cooking" was a little repetitive, but if you felt like you needed it, then make it your style- i've found that's important- mastering your own style.

writergirl13 replied...
Mar. 13, 2010 at 10:38 am
Thanks!! I just felt that "his mother's cooking" was a good way to symbolize the fact that he had a very caring family. But I welcome criticism! :)