Epilepsy

Sometimes, when my world begins to shake, I can avoid it. I can hold on to something, or focus really hard, or clench my hands into fists. But not today. Today, it took me over. My hands, my arms, and soon my torso are all convulsing, and I can't stop it. Normally I just get tics, but today, someone decided it was my turn to have a seizure. As my entire body shakes, I faintly hear a voice ring out 'Call 911! She's having a seizure!' I feel strong hands grip me, to stop me from shaking, but they can't stop it. No one can.

'What happened?', I asked. I know I had a seizure, but why and when are a bit fuzzy. It's my mom who tells me. 'Hon, during your seizure, you hit your head pretty hard. The doctors said you have a pretty severe concussion, and they've diagnosed you with epilepsy.' 'Oh, god.' I whisper. 'Mom, I'm so sorry. It's my fault. It's all my fault....'
And it's not, but she can't know that. No one can.
Because of me, -no. I can't think about it. Not anymore.

Rae_Flies_with_Byrds said...
This reminded me of my sister. She was diagnosed with epilepsy at the age seven. It makes me think about her future, and will happen to her later on in life, like if she'll have another big seizure. Thank you for writing this.

astheworldturns replied...
Mar. 5, 2010 at 6:45 am
I was happy to. I hope your sister doesn't have another seizure. I know how aful they can be, especially for those around at the time.

Bassoonkelley This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
I'm glad you're a strong, beautiful person, and I'm thankful that you're willing to share your story with us!
Sorry it's taken me some time to get back with you. While your story is touching, it's pretty black and white. To add color, it'll need unique adjectives and some fresh metaphors. What do the emotions you feel do to you physically? If it were a color, what color would that emotion be? That color could flash across your eyes, like a crimson or a blinding silver.
How does your bo... (more »)

Muffy replied...
Wow, that really means alot. Especially coming from you. I'll def. work on it some more!