15 Minutes | Teen Ink

15 Minutes

By JoseP BRONZE, Levittown, Pennsylvania
JoseP BRONZE, Levittown, Pennsylvania

"If a man can't find happiness in his own home, he can't find it anywhere"

It’s 6:15am and Bob had just woken up. He was supposed to wake up at 6am but his alarm never went off. Now most people would just get a little bit upset, as they had just woken up 15 minutes late but not Bob. You see Bob starts to freak out and panic right away, a million thoughts run through he head about how he is now going to be late to work, he will now be really late because the 15 minutes now means 15 minutes more worth of cars that will cause traffic on the bridge and with all these cars it will be backed up for minutes on end. Then he proceeds to get deep into this thought about how other drivers that woke up 15 minutes late on this Monday morning will now be in a rush causing anxious drivers trying to get to work not thinking clearly which will result in an accident. This accident will now cause another 15 minutes just until the authorities can reach the scene then another 15 minutes till traffic starts to move and yet another long painstaking 15 minutes till Bob finally passes by the scene. This causes more congestion up ahead because now that 15 minutes of already hectic traffic has tripled leading him to a most definite late at work. He finally reaches work at 8:30 when he was supposed to be at work by 8:15am this stresses him out and his anxiety attacks start to kick in. He worried now about all the paperwork that is on his desk; he had finished all the work from yesterday and usually finishes his work on schedule but now being 15 minutes late he is behind. Many would just hurry up to make up time but in Bobs’ eyes if he hurries up then he won’t do as good of a job as he would if he wasn’t 15 minutes late making him 15 minutes behind. He starts his work and tries to keep up. More paper work just keeps overflowing his desk now he is lost in the work and feels himself falling deeper and deeper behind. Shockingly he stops to think to himself how this day could have been better if he had just woken up at the right time and didn’t over sleep. He was trying to grasp a concept to comprehend this whole situation possibly make it better because anyone who knows Bob knows that he is always smiling and trying to make everyone feel happy yet only those who truly know Bob know that sometimes that is just an act and really he cannot deal with the stresses of his life so he tries to help other people and feels that if he helps other people with their stresses that maybe it will count for his stresses or even better block out his stresses. It’s a hard process to learn for someone looking on from the outside in but those who know Bob understand what he is doing and just let him go. He continues to let all these thoughts race through his head and surprisingly as if happy was the new sad for Bob he decides to think positive on this situation. He thinks to himself maybe it isn’t about the 15 minutes; maybe it’s about himself, so he forgets the 15 minutes and decides to focus on him to try and fix this. He realizes that all these years he has stressed out over ever little thing and all these little things lead to big things and the big things lead to bigger things and soon this bigger things lead to things that he can not control but to himself he thinks that he can control which causes him to get into more anxiety problems. He would almost feel that his mind was just taking over by something other than himself and that his mind would cause him to lose this control over his own self and he would get lost in his worries and forget about the good things he had in his life. He is only 25 years old and he is a professional writer, his dream job since he was a boy, he has the wife of his dreams who he has known since his freshmen year of high school, and 3 beautiful children. He let his worries take over his mind up until this point of 25 years; the sad part is these worries started at such a young age yet he let them take over his body. He was just now beginning to realize that he has to let loose and realize that he cannot change everything, he is going to have no control over situations in life. He starts to focus on the positive things in his life and realizes that in just 15 minutes he has filled 2 pages front and back of things he is grateful for in life, non of which he has to worry about anymore because there already there. He will go on and learn to not worry so much and only worry when it is important, he feels a slight bit upset for not realizing this at a younger age but as soon as that worry starts to enter his head he thinks to himself “Well that’s life, better late then never” and continues to think positive.

JJones said...
I really like the idea.

Watch your grammar and structure of the paragraphs. Also, it seems that some sentences are run-on sentences.

Very good story!

JoseP BRONZE said...
JoseP BRONZE, Levittown, Pennsylvania

Thanks secret:)

You seem to have a lot of talent. I really like the way you kept the story going. Good job!