The Halls Were Silent... | Teen Ink

The Halls Were Silent...

By zackv43 BRONZE, Fonda, New York
zackv43 BRONZE, Fonda, New York

The halls were silent…

Beep, beep, beep, beep! Ugh I hate the sound of my buzzing alarm clock. I start getting ready for another Monday at school, like any other morning, but then I notice that my mom is not here. Maybe she had to go into work early today, as she does every once in a while without telling me, so I didn’t think much of it. I walk to school and find it odd that the streets are empty, there is no commotion, but nothing is out of place. I come up on the school and it looks empty. I count each step as I walk up the stairs in front of the school, just because I’m bored, or maybe nervous. I have this weird feeling in my stomach that something is different, it doesn’t seem normal. I wrap my hand around the cold metal door handle so tight that I thought I was going to bend it. I take a deep gulp and open the door. I begin to walk through the pitch black halls franticly trying to find someone inside of the school. My frantic walk turns into a heated run as I begin to panic. My face cringed as my eyes begin to tear up. BANG!

My eyes slowly open as blood drips down my face from my forehead. I stand up, almost stumbling back down again, and start heading out of the school. I`m barely able to see anything outside, with only the moon light from the sky as a faint light. Ahhhhhhhh! “What was that,” I wondered.
The high pitched voice of a person screaming almost bursts my ear drum. I crouch down and begin to walk towards where the screaming came from. Suddenly, a man appears in front of a building and begins pacing back and forth with a gun. I`m not sure if he is an immigrant, a terrorist, or something, but I know that he is not from here. I have no idea what is going on right now. Unsure of what to do, I get on my stomach and try to crawl closer to see what is going on. I crawl under a car, being so careful not to knock anything over or touch anything that will make an unusual noise. Beep, beep, beep, beep, beep! “Oh, no!” I cried.
I must have touched something on the car to make the alarm go off. I hear a man yell something in some kind of foreign language. I immediately look up to see what he is doing. My heart is pounding so hard that I am surprised the man can`t hear it. He glances around the car where I am and starts walking closer. He is now only about forty yards away from me and still approaching. I see him pull up his gun and I start to panic. I crawl out from under the car and stand up as quickly as I can, shaking the dirt and rocks off of me. I stand behind the car, looking through the windows at him. He stares at me for a moment. I stare back at him, waiting for him to make a move. He turns around and starts walking away. “Ahhh,” I take a deep breath and let it out in relief.
Suddenly, I hear a noise that sounds like footsteps. I quickly jerk my head up and two men in a dead sprint towards me. I turn around and start running away. I lose my balance and fall down, scrapping both of my elbows. I get back up as quickly as I can and start running again. They yell something else to me in their language that I couldn`t understand. I duck for cover as I can hear the bullets whizzing by my head. Then I feel a quick sharp pain in my head and cover my head with my hands. I am starting to get dizzy and my hands and head feel like they are on fire. I look at my hands and see that they are covered in a thick, dark blood. I slowly start to lose my balance and become very cold with the chills. I fall to my knees, “Why did they do this,” I thought to myself.
I begin to wobble back and forth until I don’t even have the strength to sit upright. I fall forward onto my face so hard that the gravel makes imprints on my face. “Why did they do this?” I continued to think. “Why?”