GM plant #222: 6 PM

Doug Nicholson had worked at this plant all his life. He was one of the first employees hired there actually. The fifth to be precise. He walked down the rows of auto parts and conveyors while memories of hard work and sweat bobbed in his head. He remembered when he was young. Work on the assembly line had been easy for the most part besides the occasional machine breakdown. But you had one job, one task to do over and over again and that was it. Easy. But that was back when vehicles were less complex. Now there's more wires, outlets, and junk everywhere they can fit in a car. It won"t be long until they replace the air conditioner with another sub-woofer, thought Doug as he passed the muffler conveyor. On one of the beams that spanned from ground-to-ceiling there was a poster with two hard-working men in overalls lifting steel materials on it that said "It mat seem like a small role now, but it matters. In the end everything matters." This was supposed to encourage hard work or something. He ripped down the poster that had been there since his first day on the job. He looked around at the empty factory. If they mattered so much then why were they being replaced by machines?