Only Me | Teen Ink

Only Me

By casey261 GOLD, Hainesport, New Jersey
casey261 GOLD, Hainesport, New Jersey

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

No one knew him. They didn’t understand him like I did. They thought he was a freak, some weird artist of some sort or another. But not me, I knew he was actually a great dancer and he could talk about anything. We used to talk for hours on end, watching the sun change into the moon and the clouds into the stars. It was perfect.

Then, one day a week or two ago, we drove down the highway. We were heading to an outdoor ice skating rink. Something I’d always wanted to do. Nate and I weren’t together, like together together. We were just friends. Then he kissed me. He leaned over and kissed me square on the lips. Then he pulled back and looked at me anxiously.

“Pull the car over,” I said, without thinking.

He did, without question. I had no idea what I was doing. Did I like Nate like that? Or did he just mess up everything? My mind was asking all sorts of questions while my heart just took over. Nate was looking out the window. I whispered his name so quietly; I was surprised when he turned around. Then I kissed him.

“Angela, I think I’m in love with you,” he said, his tone serious.

I blushed and let my mouth drop open a centimeter or two before I abruptly closed it.

“Nate, I don’t know. We were friends for so long and you’re my best friend. What if this ends badly?” I asked, picking at my nails.

“Who said it had to?” he countered.

“I guess no one,” I replied.

“So are you up for another adventure, Angie?” he asked.

I smiled. He used to call me Angie when we were younger and we went on scavenger hunts in my backyard.

I looked up and said, “I sure am.”

He smiled and we merged back onto the highway. I just kept thinking about him. People didn’t dislike because he was nerdy. He was just withdrawn, but insanely cute. He had bright blue eyes and brown hair that was just the right length.

I noticed how the trees and signs turned into little shops and houses. We were in a little town which meant the rink wasn’t too far. Suddenly I saw huge headlights and I heard Noah yell, “Angela!”

Then it all went black.

When I awoke the next day in a stuffy hospital room, I expected to see Noah standing there or pacing around. But I didn’t. A nurse smiled sweetly and said, “Alright, hon, you can go for a walk if you’d like. You had a broken rib and some other bumps and bruises, but your boy candy saved you.”

“What?” I asked, completely confused.

“That brunette? He covered you and stopped you from getting the full impact. Which saved your life, sweetie,” she said.

“Can I see him?” I asked, hopeful.
The nurse looked uneasy for a moment before nodding. She helped me get out of the bed and walk to his room. Countless wires and tubes were connected to him. He looked much worse than me.
“Is he going to be okay?” I asked, hearing the uncertainty ring in my voice.
“Um, darling, he lost his memory from the impact. It hid his head and wiped his mind clear,” the nurse said, wiping her eyes.
I stifled a cry and then sat next to him. His memory was gone, completely.
“He won’t remember anything?” I asked.
“’Fraid not,” she replied.
Suddenly he opened his eyes and blinked. He looked around and said, “Where am I?”
The nurse told him and he sighed. I felt myself get hopeful. Then he asked what a hospital was. This time I explained.
He looked at me for a second and said, “You survived.”
“What?” the nurse and I asked at the same time.
He looked at me and said, “I thought you died. I was so scared.”
“Well, I’ll be darn,” the nurse said quietly.
“You remember me?” I asked.
“Yeah, Angela, but everything else is fuzzy and the details aren’t clear. I just know that I have and will always love you,” Nate said.
I felt tears slip down my cheeks as the nurse whistled. Before no one knew him, except me. Now he knows no one, but me.

This was written in the spur of the moment. Please comment. I'd like to improve it. Thanks.