Seeing is Not Everything | Teen Ink

Seeing is Not Everything

November 20, 2009
By chelseahicks BRONZE, Kenton, Ohio
chelseahicks BRONZE, Kenton, Ohio
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

I wake up every morning and fix my gorgeous wife breakfast. Her favorite meal for breakfast is pancakes, bacon, and eggs. She usually wakes up around nine in the morning. When she wakes up, she gets out of bed and counts out loud the number of steps she takes, as she touches the walls, to reach the kitchen. It more than likely takes her twenty-seven steps to enter the kitchen. When she arrives to the kitchen, she sits at the table and grabs a piece of silverware, that I have on the left side of her plate in the order of: spoon, fork, and butter knife, and then eats her breakfast. On the right side of her plate, I put her drink, which she sometimes spills over on accident. Her favorite drink for breakfast is orange juice, so I make sure we always have it in the fridge. After she finishes eating her breakfast, I put her plate, silverware, and cup in the sink for her.

After her breakfast, she begins to count her steps to the bathroom to shower. I always lay her clean clothes out on the sink and I put her towel on the nail that is on the back of the door. When she is finished with showering, she counts her thirty steps into the living room, where she sits in her rocking chair and listens to her soap operas. I cannot stand her soap operas, too much drama for me. She rocks back and forth and sometimes she falls asleep. Usually her soap operas are over around noon so I ask her what she wants to eat then I start making her lunch. Lunch is different from breakfast, she prefers to sit in her rocking chair to eat lunch and listen to her favorite music. So once I prepare lunch, I set up a tray in front of her chair and place her plate, cup, and silverware in the same combination as breakfast. She loves mac and cheese or a grilled cheese sandwich and she usually drinks some type of juice for lunch or some water. While she eats, she sings along with her Patsy Cline record. As she eats, I do the dishes, laundry, or do some other kind of house chore. Sometimes she helps me out with chores too.

After lunch is finished, we usually go out to do something. Neither of us work, she never has worked and I am retired from my job at the factory. Our house is paid off. We pay the rest of the bills with my retirement money and her social security checks. When we go out, we either go to the park, the store, out to eat, or to hang with the grandchildren (which is her favorite). I push her around in a wheel chair. It is much easier that way, but she thinks it is a waste of her muscles. She would rather walk, but I think it is too dangerous. We have been discussing about purchasing a seeing-eye dog. A dog would really help around here and be a good companion for her. Plus she has wanted a dog for as long as I have known her, so we are really looking into it.

After we return home, she usually likes to listen to the six o’clock news as I cook dinner. I set up the dining room table and light candles. She loves to smell the candles during dinner. Cinnamon is her favorite scent. The candles give her a romantic feeling that she loves. I set up her utensils in the same combination as usual. It is always a surprise to her what dinner is going to be. We usually have extremely humorous conversations at dinner about politics, celebrities, or something one of the grandchildren did. We have two children, Tyler and Lynn. Tyler has a son named Jordan and Lynn has a daughter named Chelsea. During dinner, we gossip for hours. I feel like I know her the most at dinner time, it is my favorite part of the day, but sometimes I wonder if she feels like she knows me completely considering she has never seen what I look like. She was born blind, just like our grandchild, Jordan. Being blind does not bother her one bit; she says, “Being blind is the gift God has given me and I would not trade it for the world.” She accepts that she is blind and does not care what others think of her. I know if she were given the chance to use her eyes to see, she would not take it.

After awhile she gets somewhat tired from her long day, I hold her hand as we walk to our bed. She usually reads her romantic novel that is in brail for about an hour, and then she goes to sleep. I just go to sleep right away because she does not need light to read and I have had a long day. I fall asleep in excitement, with butterflies in my stomach, knowing I get to spend the next day with my lovely wife.


The author's comments:
Wrote this in my creative writing class.