Two Pages I Found Under My Bed

"C'mon, Mel, you used to love to throw down!"
He hands me a luke-warm beer and a smile.
I don't know his name, and after searching my memory I realize that I never did. He was a thick build, a rough dresser; but his face was kind. Inviting.
Well whoever he is he doesn't know me too well either; I hate beer.

I hand the beer back to Thick and give him a quick kiss on the cheek as I walk through the entrance and into a sea of half-wasted twenty-ish-year-olds.
Grabbing something cold, clear, and bottled from an oversized ice bucket I head towards the music.
I start small talking a girl from my psych class - Kim, or Katie or something like that. Honestly, I was just glad to see a familiar face, because so far I'd only recognized a few one-night stands and a cat-fighting frenemy or two.
I wasn't feeling comfortable enough yet, so I headed back for a second bottle. As I struggled with the cap for a moment I felt a gentle hand on the small of my back and a husky but sober voice at my ear.
"What's your name, babe?" He half-yelled into my eardrum (the music level had been steadily increasing).

"Stacy," I lied to him,"you?"
"Evan. I think we had a health class together, yeah?"
Wrong. Evan looked a lot like that one guy off of Greek - the one that started off really geeky who was that one girl's brother? Evan smiled confidently and used a little too much eye contact. There was an innocence to him though, possibly fake, but it was a little difficult to judge character in such a crowded apartment.
"Right, I remember! You sat near the front." I smiled a reassuring smile that had him confused.
Apparently he's a back-row sorta guy.
I held out my drink for him to get me another; I figured that way he'd have a little extra time to plan out his next move.
My stomach was feeling a little cramped & upset, but I knew if I just drank a little faster it'd eventually wash away. Alcohol never did settle with me well.
"So what's your major?" Evan asked as he fought his way back through the crowd with a red plastic cup in his hand.
Original question, Ev. "Biochemical Engineering." I lied again.
"Ouchhhh. I'm pre-law myself, so one day I'll be able to arrest you for being so damn beautiful."
I rolled my eyes and shook my head out of embarassment for him. He knew it was cheesy from the oversized grin he was sporting, but he'd gone for the kill anyways.
"Let's go dance, Evan." I grabbed him by the hand and gulped down the last of whatever he'd put together. I'd promised myself that I wouldn't drink drinks that someone else made after a friend of mine got roofied, but Ev didn't seem like the kind of guy who even knew where to get roofs, let alone slip me one.
I danced so close to Evan that I could tell he wasn't comfortable. He'd given me a funny look after I'd swallowed down that last drink so quickly. I pressed my hips to his and he smiled a knowing smile.
"Let's find someplace quieter...to talk." I yelled in his ear half-heartedly. I've played this through so many times that I pretty much had it scripted. I grabbed a few jellow shots from a passing tray as I led Evan away.

Jappyalldayeveryday said...
Ehh, the character didn't seem deep/complex enough

Falconxmaster said...
Oct. 7, 2011 at 10:25 am:
Pretty weird story.

Joele12 said...

how is it that Lady Inspiration always hits other people??

Anyways I liked it 

reenay_95 said...
Jun. 19, 2011 at 12:02 pm:
This was kinda funny. It's interesting to see this sort of situation from a girl's point of view.

DiamondsIntheGrass This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
you're so lucky! finding such cool stories under your bed. there is no 'under' my bed.  its the type with drawers, so it goes straight to the floor.  this is pretty cool.  but i would have liked to hear more about the apartment. and it seems like this can really branch into something really awesome. 

datrumpeter said...
intense. but very well written! good job! could you check out some of my work?

bubj98 said...
all of you people are wrong .he did not write this he found it under his bed.thats what he said

soccerchic said...
Wow! This was really well written! Keep up the good work! Oh, and if anybody has any extra time, maybe could you please check out some of my stuff?! thanks! :)

Mary L. said...
Jun. 10, 2010 at 3:32 pm:
VERY good! :D it would be kool if you continued the story tho

notebookgirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
i like it. and i myself have found more than one random story under my bed, its so fun :)

ccaelinn said...
Apr. 27, 2010 at 5:42 am:
i really like it, it's something i'd normally read.

astheworldturns said...
Great writing! Check out a piece or two of mine?

katiemiladie said...
Mar. 18, 2010 at 8:12 pm:
It's good. Short, simple, sweet, and to the point. I like it. I like most all of your work. If you have time, check some of mine out, more than just one piece though, some of them suck. Lol.

bookworm95 said...
Mar. 2, 2010 at 12:12 pm:
I really like this. I would love to learn more about her and I think it would make a good prologue to something longer.

samyo6 said...
Feb. 24, 2010 at 6:11 pm:
i love this, you tell it so vividly i wish i could write like you :P

robrobrobin11 said...
Feb. 2, 2010 at 7:12 pm:
This could be a very successful start to a novel just sayin' :)
I am personally a novelist so I say try it and you'll get addicted. :-p

Magdalena S. said...
Nov. 28, 2009 at 2:26 am:
Love it. I've read a few of your other pieces and I have yet to be disappointed. Nice job!

Lenaforver said...
I have to agree this is great. It flows smoothly!

Teiralovessugar13 said...
I want to know more.

pictolover said...
Nov. 6, 2009 at 9:50 am:
this is great. You should keep on with this story