death by the second

I was looking at a sea of dead faces. Faces that were not speaking just motionless under the sunny day. The faces of a person when they have lost someone. I didn’t know what to make of this. I didn’t know how to react. Emma. My best friend who was now dead. I always told her to never let go. Now looking at all the zombies who were once people but have now taken the replacement of zombies I wonder. I wonder where all the happiness went. It was a depressing day it happened…
I wandered through the halls absentmindedly ignoring all the people who seemed to be talking to me. I opened my locker and found Emma’s picture hanging on the door. I looked at it for a long time before shoving it under my chemistry book. “Why the hell did you have to die?” I muttered depressingly. Ms. Evely my world lit teacher was passing by me and touched my shoulder lightly “im so sorry Avery” she said very sadly. Sorry? I wanted to ask. It’s the only thing people have been saying to me and it was starting to get annoying. I shut my locker in her surprised face. I went through all my classes like a normal person except a normal person doesn’t have a broken heart. I didn’t know how to feel. Sad? I’ve had my shares of sadness. Depressed? I would have already shot myself. No. there’s no words to express how I feel right now. Nothing at all. But as I look beyond the clouds I can almost feel you. My teacher Mr. James says as I’m walking out his class “are you okay Avery?” he asks. “I’m more than okay” I say without looking back. I’m happy. And for a second I can actually say it without lying to myself.

musiclover94 said...
Holy Cow!!!! This is so amazing! I'm lucky enough to not have lost my best friend but those are the words i would choose to describe how it would feel. You make me appreciate her!

brenda15 replied...
Oct. 13, 2009 at 6:12 pm :
thanks:) im glad you like it!

Megan Anne S. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oh my gosh. This was beautiful. Keep it up girl, and keep smiling.

brenda15 replied...
Oct. 2, 2009 at 5:21 pm :
thanks so much!! i will!!

Megan Anne S. replied...
Oct. 2, 2009 at 5:23 pm :
haha. Your welcome.