When We Meet Again | Teen Ink

When We Meet Again

By Sydney Lee BRONZE, Baytown, Texas
Sydney Lee BRONZE, Baytown, Texas

Introduction

Christine is just an ordinary girl. She was separated from her brother and mother at the age of 5. 9 years later, her brother is back, the boy of her dreams is hers, and she finally hears from her mom. She thinks her life is going perfect until her ex-boyfriend comes back and won’t stop until he wins her back. Her mother’s ex-boyfriend is stalking her because he thinks that it’s her fault that he and her mother split up. And to make things worse, her boyfriend and brother get shot, so that means that they could be separated again.

Join Christine on a life or death experience. Filled with laughs, tears, danger, and heart warming romance.

Chapter 1 The Knock

“Aww mommie, why do JT have 2 stay here with us? He screams at me and Devontay and hits on you.” “Baby hush that noise. You’ll understand when you get older. Now go to your room and I don’t want to have this conversation again.”

That’s the last thing I remember before I went away. My names Christine. I’m in the 8th grade now. I live in a big mansion kind of house with a butler, Mr.Wayne. He says I have a brother some where out there, but I don’t think so. I know deep down that it’s true but if it is, then where is he? Why hasn’t he come back for me? “Hello,” I say answering my phone. It’s my best friend Erika. “Hey girl. What you doin?” she says when I pick up. “Girl nothing, just chillin.” She gets excited. “I saw you talking to lil D yesterday at lunch. What were ya’ll was talking about?! I know you like him!” “No I don’t. He was just asking me if he miss any work in Mr.K class yesterday cause’ he got to school late. I know you like Trae.” I say smartly “Yes you do like him and I know I like Trae but at least I admitted it,” she says smartly. “Hold on girl, somebody is knocking at my door,” I tell her then put the phone down. When I opened the door, I didn’t realize that my life was about to change forever.

Chapter 2 After All This Time

Standing in the door was a boy. Tall, bright skinned, long braids to his shoulders, pretty hazel brown eyes, a stud, blue shirt, black shorts, blue and black Air Force Ones on, and sparkly white teeth. I was so embarrassed. I had just woken up so I was in my Betty Boop pajamas, hair all over my head, crust on the side of my mouth, and Tweety Bird slippers. “Yes, how may I help you?” I ask him. He looks surprised. “Christine?” “Yes, how do you know my name?” I respond. “It’s me, Devontay, your brother.”
“I’m sorry, I don’t have a brother. I think you got the wrong person,” I say, trying to rush him away. “No man, its me. Don’t you remember?” He says coming closer like I just can’t see or something. “I’m sorry but I have to go. I think you have the wrong address,” I say trying to go into the house. “But look,” he says then pulls the other half of a picture of my momma out of his pocket. I just couldn’t believe it. Was this really my brother? “Where did you get that from?” I say shakily. “Hello?! Hello?!” I can hear Erika saying on the phone. “I got it from momma before we went away. She gave half to you and half to me. She said that we would know each other if we ever met up again if we put the pieces together.” I couldn’t say anything. I just took the other half of the picture, slammed the door, ran up to my room, and cried. I just cried and cried until I couldn’t cry anymore. I taped the pieces together and just stared at my momma. I looked just like her. I wondered why when he came to the door we looked exactly alike. After about 15 minutes, I went back downstairs. I was hoping that Devontay was still at the door but he was gone. I called Erika and told her everything.
“Girl you need to go find him! That’s your brother!” She says practically yelling at me. “Yeah girl, I know that now but if it’s really him, why is he coming back now? He missed 9 years of my whole life,” I say trying to calm her down. “Well maybe he thinks that now is the time and that he needs you and you need him. Plus, the way you described him, he sound fine! So you can get me the hook up!” We both laughed at that. “Well, he could be anywhere by now. What should I do?” I ask after we finally stop laughing. She yells, “GO LOOK FOR HIM!” “Okay girl, I’ll talk to you later,” I say then we hang up.

Chapter 3 Why Now

I got dressed and told Mr.Wayne that I’ll be back in a few hours. “Do you wish to take the limo?” he asks. “No, I’ll just walk,” I say then leave. I walked and walked and walked until my feet hurt. I had been walking for 3 hours. I found a park bench and just sat there thinking. Why is he coming back now? What does he want? Right when I was about to give up, somebody came up to me. “Can I join you?” they asked. I looked up and it was him. I jumped up and gave him a big hug. “Where have you been? Why are you coming back now? What happened when we were younger?” I had a lot of questions that needed answers. “Sit down and I’ll explain everything,” he responded.

Chapter 4 Truth Is

When he told me what happened, it was like it just happened yesterday. “We were asleep in the room when momma and JT started arguing again but it was a lot worse this time. They were screaming, cussing, and I even heard a few punches being thrown. You started crying and I just held you tight and told you that everything was going to be alright. Tay Tay, why can’t we live in a big house and always be happy? You asked me. I told you we will one day.” By the time he got to this part, my eyes were tearing up. “What happened after that?” I asked. “Man then the next morning, the Child Protective Services were there saying that we were in danger by living there so they split us apart. You cried and hung on to me cause’ you didn’t want me to leave you. Momma said it was for the best. I told you that we’ll be together again one day. That’s when I gave you that necklace and told you that it was my promise that we’ll see each other again. And that’s what happened.”

Chapter 5 The Start Of A New Life

I didn’t know what to say. All I could do was hold on to the necklace he gave me. My friends always told me how pretty it was and wanted to know where I got it from. I told them that I’ve had it since I was little and didn’t remember where I got it from. I knew now and never wanted to take it off. I couldn’t believe my brother was back in my life. “Why did you decide to come back now? Why not a few years ago?” I asked cause’ the question was burning in the back of my mind. “Man because I felt now is the right time. Plus, I thought that I would be a good birthday present. Happy Birthday!” OMG! I totally forgot that it was my birthday. I was just so happy to have my brother back. Just when I thought my day couldn’t get any better, I saw lil D walking with some of his home boys. He was lookin good! He’s my height, bright skinned, brown eyes, red shirt, black shorts, black, red, and white Jordan’s on, and a stud. “Hey Christine, happy birthday. I got you something,” he says then pulls a pink and green bag from behind his back. “Man D, stop flirtin! We all know you like her!” Trae yells from across the park. All his homies are laughing at him. “Man shut up Trae or I’ll tell that you like Erika!” lil D yells back. Trae got quit then. “Man I got to go. Call me some time,” he says writing down his number then walks off. “Who was that?” Davontay asks suspiciously. “Oh, just this boy I like. I didn’t know he even knew my name. I just thought he knew me as some girl that helps him in science class when he doesn’t understand the lesson. “Man you don’t need no lil thug around you,” he says angrily. “FYI, he aint no thug, he just dress and act like that around his home boys but he’s just a regular cool guy. And who are you to tell me who I can and can’t like? You haven’t been in my life for 9 years. So don’t come bargin in and tryin to take over!” He looks surprised. “Man okay, but as soon as he does something wrong, he got to deal with me. And I know that I haven’t been there for you but I want to make up for all those years.” “Okay, well let’s go home first,” I say then start to pull him. He pulls back, “Home? My foster mom lives way across town. Maybe I should go check with her first.” Well since you’re back, don’t you want to come live with me now?” I ask. “Man I don’t know. What about your foster parents?” He asks. “Actually I have a foster butler,” I respond smartly. “And we can talk that over with him.”

Chapter 6 The Letter

When we get to my house, Mr.Wayne is waiting on the couch. “Ahh, Mr.Devontay, so nice to finally meet you. I knew this day would come.” “Umm nice to meet you to Mr…” Devontay responds not knowing his name. “Wayne, You’re welcome here anytime,” Mr.Wayne says telling him his name. “Well Mr.Wayne, since Devontay is back, I was hoping he could come live with us now,” I ask sweetly. “I don’t see a problem with that but it’s not my choice. We have to talk it over with the Child Protective Services and is that what Devontay wants to do?” He responds. We stare at Devontay for a moment. “Well I don’t know. I have a foster mom and I don’t know if I should just leave her. Especially since she’s pregnant and might need my help. I don’t know. Just let me think about it,” he says sadly. I pat him on the back and smile at him. “I understand if you don’t want to. It’s okay.” “Well, if Mr.Devontay decides to stay, then let me know so I can go call the people. Oh, I almost for got. Christine, a letter came for you in the mail.” He was smiling at me like he knew what it was. I looked at the envelope. It had my name on it but no return address. When I opened it, it had a pink piece of paper in it. It was a letter. It read:

Dear Christine,
“Hey baby, how have you been doing? I know I haven’t seen or talked to you for 9 years but it’s your birthday so I thought I should right you. I know what you’re thinking, why haven’t I written you on all your other birthdays? Well to tell you the truth, I don’t know why. You’re turning 14 today so I thought I should right you. Have you seen or talked to Devontay lately? In case you haven’t or don’t have a clue who I’m talking about, Devontay is your brother. He should be 15 fixing to turn 16. Well if you have, then tell him that I love him too. I left you a little something since it’s your birthday and its all most summer time. I will try to send you some more before school start up again. You’ll be in High School next year. WOW! I feel so old! Well, I got to go. Glad to see you’re doing okay. I love you”

Love, Momma

I couldn’t believe my momma wrote me a letter. After all this time. First my brother is back, the boy I’ve like since 5th grade gave me a birthday present, and now my momma sent me a letter. I showed Devontay the letter. He was just as excited as I was. In the envelope, she gave me $350. I told Devontay that I will split it with him so that we both get $175 each. I just knew this day couldn’t get any better and I was right cause’ after today, I would have the worst days of my life.

Chapter 7 First Day of School

Devontay had decided to stay and Mr.Wayne called the Child Protective Services to talk to them about it. He had to sign a lot of papers but the deal was sealed, on one condition. If either of us got into any real trouble or if anything happened to one of us, then we will both have to leave, get split up again, and live in totally different states. It was the first day of school for Devontay. I told him that he will love it and there’s no need for him to be nervous. After I woke Devontay up, I opened my closet and the present lil D gave me was sitting on the top shelf. I had for gotten all about it. When I opened it, it had a teddy bear that said Happy Birthday and Be Mine on it, and a card. I just wanted to faint. The card said Roses are red, violets are blue, I was wondering if I can get with you. Even though it was corny, it was so sweet. He had written something at the bottom. “Hey Christine, I just wanted to say Happy Birthday and wanted to know if maybe we could hang out sometime? Well, hope you like the gift. Sorry it wasn’t much.

Love, Dontray a.k.a lil D

I couldn’t believe it. Even though he doesn’t think it’s much, it means a whole lot to me. I was about to cry because I was so happy but I started laughing cause’ I thought it was funny that his name is Dontray and my brother name is Devontay. I never knew his real name. I wonder if I’m the only one who knows. I can’t wait to get to school. I wonder if he and I will…, “What was that? I know I aint crazy. I think I just saw somebody in my window,” I say nervously. When I went to look, I hope it’s not true but across the street, sitting on a bench, was a man who looked exactly like JT! I look for a moment to make sure my eyes aren’t playing tricks on me. Before I get a good look, a bus pass by and just like that, he’s gone. I am so freaked out. “Hey sis, are you ready?” Devontay says standing in the doorway. “Yeah, almost, just give me a few more minutes,” I say looking at him big eyed. He looks at me crazy. “Are you okay? You look like you’ve just seen a ghost.” I get up and try to smile. “Yeah, I’m okay, just thought about something.” “He looks towards my bed. “Oh okay. Hey that’s a nice teddy bear. Where’d you get it from?” I start smirking at him. “Oh just a friend.” “Uh huh, sure, a friend,” he says smiling then walks away.

I’m ready in less then 10 minutes. Devontay took me to get my hair done yesterday so all I had to do is pick out an outfit. Devontay is already at the bus stop when I make it outside. All the girls are crowded around him already. Erika runs up to me excitedly. “Girl, who is that boy?! He is so fine!” “Oh Devontay? That’s my brother,” I say like it doesn’t matter. “That’s your brother?! Girl you know we like sisters. Get me the hook up!” she says excitedly. “Alright girl, but what about Trae?” I ask smartly. “Oh yeah, well he isn’t interested in me,” she says with a sad look on her face. “Well that’s not what lil D said yesterday,” I respond happily. “He said Trae likes me?! I didn’t know he knew I existed!” “Uh Erika,” I say trying to get her attention. “Man I really like him and now I know he likes me too,” she says going on. “Erika,” I say trying to get her attention again. “I wonder if he wants to hang out and go to a movie. Maybe we will hook up!” She says fantasizing. “Erika!” I yell, knowing I got her attention this time. She looks at me kind of surprised but angry at the same time. “What girl? You know, the whole time I was talking, you just kept saying my name and interrupting me. Do you know how rude that is?” “I start smiling at her. “Well, I wonder if he thinks it’s rude?” She looks at me confused. “Girl, who are you talking about?” “Turn around and you will see,” I reply smartly. She turns around. “Oh hey Trae,” she says embarrassingly. He starts smiling at her. “So, you really like me huh?” Before she says anything back, she turns around and looks at me crazy cause’ I’m just steady laughing at her. “You finally told him how you really felt about him without even knowing. I’m glad that never happened to me. Lil D doesn’t have a clue that I like him but he will today. I’m finally going to tell him how I feel about him and maybe even ask him out.” Erika is just steady smiling at me. “I don’t think you will have to tell him nothing anymore,” she says. I look at her crazy. “Why not, I want to tell him how I feel.” “Trust me girl, he knows,” she says then walks away because she sees the bus coming. I’m just standing there looking crazy cause’ I don’t know what she’s talking about but when I see the bus coming, I break out of my thoughts.

When we get on the bus, I sit in the middle seat towards the back, Erika and Trae sit 2 seats behind me, Devontay sits in the seat across from me, and all the girls sit around him. Before the bus pulls off, all of a sudden, lil D comes on the bus. He smiles at me. “Hey Christine, is it okay if I sit with you?” “Sure,” I say blushing. “Oh yeah, thanks for the gift,” I say hugging him. “Your welcome,” he replies staring at me. “Man, I heared you like me,” he says still smiling. I try to sound confused. “You did? Who told you that?” “Well, um, you did,” he says like he’s embarrassed. I’m stunned. “I did? When?” “At the bus stop a few minutes ago. Well, you weren’t talking to me but I was standing right behind you,” he starts to laugh a little when he tells me. When he said that, I knew why Erika was smiling at me so much. He was standing right behind me! Now I know why Mr.Wayne always says don’t make fun of somebody else cause’ the same think might happen you. I think he calls it Karma. “OMG! You heard everything I said. Well, you see, I have a perfectly good explanation for everything,” I say quickly. “Man, you don’t have to explain. I like you too and I was hopin that we could go see a movie on Saturday,” he replies softly. “Sure, I would like that,” I say blushing. “Okay, I’ll be at your house around 7. The mall is like 2 minutes from your house so we can walk,” he says smiling at me. I turn around to see what Erika and Trae are doing. They are just flirtin up a storm! I’m just happy to see my best friend happy. I look to see what Devontay is doing. He looks okay but I notice that he can’t take his eyes off this one girl. She’s my friend Taylor Brown. She and I were best friends in the 5th grade. We are still close but not like 5th grade. In 5th grade, she and I were inseparable. Now, she has her friends and I have mine. But, it’s still good knowing that we have each other back. I wonder if Devontay likes her. I’m going to have to get them to talk. We finally arrive at the school, St. Charelston Middle School. When we get off the bus, I see my other best friend Chelsee waiting for me as usual. I wait for Devontay so I can take a look at his schedule. We have basically every class together except for one. He has art and I have theatre arts. He comes up to me, eyes wide open. “WOW! This is a big school. I hope I don’t get lost,” he says excitedly. “I pat him on the back. “Boy calm down, it aint all that,” I say sarcastically.

1st period was just beginning when we got to school. Our bus always gets here late. The whole day was going perfectly… for Devontay. He ruined all my classes. In science, we had to pick partners for a project. All my friends left me to try to get partnered up with Devontay. I got stuck with some nerd that picks his nose and has so many zits, he can put proactive out of business. I would have got partnered with lil D, but his ex-girlfriend got to him first. I think she still likes him but he doesn’t even pay attention to her. He told me that he would have partnered with me but he didn’t want to be mean cause’ she asked him first and that would have been rude. In math class, which is a block period, he got all the answers right. I know what you’re thinking, how is that so bad? Well it is if I said the same answer! For example, the teacher asked what the square root of 225 is. When I said 15, the teacher said it was wrong but when Devontay said 15, he said it was right. In English, another block period, we had to write a short story about our best day ever. I wrote about being reunited with my brother. When the teacher read it, he said it was okay but he expected better from me. Devontay wrote about being reunited with me. The teacher told him that it was great. He said he never had a student do this well on their first day of school and that I should learn from him. But Devontay copied off of me! So how was his better if we had the exact same story?! I just knew things would be better at lunch. I was wrong.

All my friends left me to go sit by Devontay cause’ they said he looked lonely and needed some company. Even Erika left me to go be with Trae! I was ready to go home. I got kind of happy when I saw Devontay making his move on Taylor. He looked so happy until PJ walked in. When PJ saw Devontay talking to Taylor, he didn’t look too happy. His real name is Peter, but he hates it so we just call him PJ. He walked over there all big and bad. “Hey boy, why you talking to my girl?” He tells Devontay in a mean way. Devontay was calm. “Man we just havin a friendly conversation. Taylor, I thought you said you were single?” He asks Taylor. She was calm but looked irritated. “I am, me and PJ broke up a month ago but he still says I’m his girl. PJ, how many times do I have to tell you before you get it through your thick head that it’s over? You can’t keep trying to beat up every boy who talks to me.” PJ starts to get angry. “Man so you leavin me for him? Come on boy, hop out there.” Devontay is still calm but looks ready for any punch that he might throw at him. “Look man, I don’t want any trouble. I just wanted to talk to her,” Devontay says calmly. PJ was really angry now. “Man so you chickin now? Well that means this should be easy,” he says then swings at Devontay. Devontay ducks, jumps up, and punches him in the face. PJ hits Devontay in the lip. Devontay then hits PJ in the nose. I couldn’t watch anymore. I run over to try to break it up but I end up getting hit to the ground by PJ. Devontay’s head exploded when he saw him hit me. They really started fighting now. Lil D had just walked in when he seen PJ hit me. He got mad and jumped in. PJ was loosing bad now. He got a couple of good hits but was no match for both of them. The principle ran in to try to stop the fight cause’ some nerd snitched that they were fighting. Even the principle couldn’t break up the fight. He had to call the school security guards to stop it. All three of them got sent to the principles office. Since PJ started the fight, he got suspended for 4 days. Devontay and lil D got 3 days In School Suspension or ISS. When they left the room, everyone was staring at me. They think I started the fight. “Man Christine, why you had to start that fight? Now my home boy got suspended!” One of his friends says from one side of the cafeteria. Everyone left the cafeteria but I can still hear everyone cussing and saying how they wanted to jump me. The rest of the day, no one talked to me. Erika talked to me every now and then, but when Trae came around, she would leave. Chelsee went home early so I couldn’t hang with her. I was so happy when the day was over. I didn’t want to ride the bus home cause’ I didn’t feel like getting into any mess, so I just walked home. I told Devontay to ride the bus and that I will just meet up with him when I get home.

Chapter 8 Threatened

Clouds were coming in by the second. I had to hurry and get home before I got rained on. On my walk home, I can hear footsteps behind me, but every time I turned around, there’s no one there. So I just keep walking. “Hey Christine,” I hear someone say behind me. When I turn around, I see somebody that I thought I would never see again and never wanted to. Standing before me was Aaron Briggs, a.k.a AB. “Long time no see huh cookie?” He says with an evil smirk on his face. He’s tall, dark, blue and white outfit on, hair braided, and the stud I got him for his birthday 6 months ago. “What are you doing here? I thought you were in Juvi?” I say nervously. “Got out early, good behavior.” There was nothing good about him. “What do you want AB?” I say backing up. “Well since I got out early, I was hopin to pay my girl a visit,” he says coming closer. “We broke up remember? That’s the whole reason you went to Juvi. We had just broken up the night before you left,” I say smartly. “Man you were for real? Come on baby, you know I was drunk and didn’t mean to hit you,” he says rubbing the scar on my face. “Look AB, I’ve moved on. I have to get home before it starts to rain.” He gets angry and grabs my arm. “Who you moved on to huh? I can take care of him.” Before I get a word out, lil D comes running from the school. “Hey Christine,” he says trying to catch his breath. In my head I’m thinking, just in time. “I was just trying to catch up with you to walk you home and to see if we’re still on for that movie on Saturday?” AB turns to lil D. “Is this the chump that took my place? I leave for 5 months, and this is what I get?” He says angrily. “Oh, yeah, the movie, yeah we can still go. Well I got to go. See you tomorrow lil D,” I say while walking off quickly. “Christine!” AB yells from behind. He comes up to me. His hand tight around my wrist. “You my girl and any dude who tries to take my place, gone get it. So I advise you to stay away from chump over there.” I pull away. “I’m not your girl, don’t want to be your girl, and never will be your girl, so just leave me alone! I run off, not caring about the rain hitting me. When I finally make it home, I just know my troubles are over, until I open the door.

Chapter 9 Watch Your Back

When I open the door, sitting on the couch, is JT. I close the door slowly. I’m trembling from the cold rain and fear. “What are you doing here?” I try to say without sounding too scared, even though I’m petrified. “Oh, I just came to pay the reason for me and Shannon’s break up a visit,” he says smartly but angrily. I snap, “I’m not the reason for you and my mom’s breaking up! You were abusive and always drunk!” “Liar,” he yells so loud, I think, the room shook. “You and that boy are the reasons. After ya’ll went away, she said I was the reason for ya’ll leaving. So she kicked me out the house. It’s all your fault! You will pay for breaking us up and I know exactly how to do it. Tell Devontay I said watch out.” I get angry. “You leave my brother alone!” He gets happy. “Just as I thought, the only way to hurt you is to hurt him!” He walks over and pushes me out the way from in front of the door. Before he leaves, he says 3 words that send a chill up my back. “Watch your back.” When he leaves, I’m left there petrified.
Devontay comes home a few hours later with Mr.Wayne. I’m just coming out the shower by then. “Devontay, where have you been?!” I say coming down stairs in my red and yellow robe. “Well after school, I hung out with Taylor, and then I went to the store with Mr.Wayne,” he responds. “Oh, well you need to start callin me and letting me know where you are.” He looks at me crazy. “Okay, but since when did you become the over protective mom?” “Well Devontay, I’m just trying to look out for you cause’ I don’t know what I would do if something ever happened to you. And you still hangin out with Taylor after what happened today?!” “Well yeah, I think I really like her,” he says, then plops down on the couch. “You just met her today!” I say frustrated. He gets surprised. “WOW! If you don’t want me to hang out with her, all you have to do is say so.” I sit by him. “No, I want you to be happy, it’s just watch your back okay?” “Man okay I guess,” he says. I smile at him. “Now I have to write this down, April 17th, Devontay falls in love.” I start to laugh and run up the stairs. I can hear him mimicking me from downstairs. I decide to call lil D and apologize for running off earlier. When I call him, my favorite song Bleeding Love is playing. “Heelllooo?” I hear him say when he answers the phone. “Hey lil D, What’s up?” “Oh, hey Christine, I’m so glad you called. What happened earlier?” I’m so embarrassed. “Oh, that’s why I called. I wanted to apologize for that. AB is an old boyfriend. When we broke up, he went to juvi and since he got out early, he thinks he can come back and I’m just goin to run back to him.” “Oh, man its okay. I’m just glad to hear that he’s not your boyfriend anymore.” I’m kind of confused as usual. “Why?” Before he can reply, I hear Devontay call me from downstairs. “Hold on lil D.” I put down the phone and run downstairs, not knowing if lil D will hang up if I take too long. When I come downstairs, Devontay is sitting on the couch eating Cookies and Cream ice cream. “Somebody is at the door,” he says between each bite. “Well why didn’t you answer the door?” I say irritated. I open the door. My heart starts to beat fast cause’ it could be JT of AB. My nervousness goes away when I see who it is.
“Lil D, what are you doing here?!” “I came to ask you something,” he responds coolly. He starts to dig in his pocket. He pulls out a small, pink velvet box, pink ribbon tied. I can’t believe this is happening. I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn’t dreaming. He opens the box and inside is the prettiest ring I have ever seen. Its heart shaped with little pink diamonds around it. It is so pretty that you can’t tell that the diamonds are fake. “I was supposed to give this to you for you birthday but I wanted to wait. I was going to give it to you on Saturday after the movie but I couldn’t wait. Okay what I’m trying to say is, will you be my girl?” My mouth is wide open. I don’t know what to say. I run up to him and hug him. “Yes,” I whisper in his ear. He slips the ring on my finger and starts to kiss me. His soft, yellow lips kissing me. “Hey, hey, hey you two. Enough of that,” Devontay says pushing us apart. “It’s time for Christine to get ready for bed.” “Aww come on Devontay, just 5 more minutes,” I say giving him puppy dog eyes. “No Keke, that’s not goin to work this time. Ya’ll see each other tomorrow.” “No we won’t,” I say sarcastically. “Ya’ll got into a fight, so now both of you have 3 days of ISS.” He looks at me goofy like. “Well I got into a fight, that’s his fault if he was crazy enough to jump in.” We look at lil D. “Man I had to, that doofus hit Christine.” “Well ISS or no ISS, Christine has to come in so 2 minutes young lady,” he says then goes into the house. I can’t help but smile at lil D. “Well, I guess I should go,” he says coming closer to me. “I minute!” I hear Devontay say from the living room window. Lil D and I start to laugh. He gives me 1 last kiss. “I’ll come to your bus stop in the morning,” he says holding my hand. “Okay,” I say hugging him then I go into the house. All I can do is smile and stare at my ring. I run up stairs, and jump into bed. I can’t wait for school tomorrow. No matter how much danger me and Devontay are in.

Chapter 10 Never Be Alone

When I wake up in the morning, I’m in a rush cause’ I woke up late. I hurry and put a few twist’s in my hair, throw a cute outfit on, and make sure I don’t forget my ring. When I run outside, the bus is just arriving. I get on the bus and sit in the seat behind Devontay and Taylor. “Hey Devontay, why didn’t you wake me up for school?” I say trying to catch my breath. “I don’t know, I guess I forgot. Taylor came to the door so I just left.” “Did you forget that your sister comes first?! You know what, whatever. Have you seen lil D?” He gets annoyed. “Nope, now leave me alone. I’m trying to have an important conversation here.” What’s his problem? Why is he being such a jerk? Is he mad because I go with lil D? He seemed cool about it yesterday. I aint worried about it though. I’m just ready to get to school so I can see my baby and ask him why he didn’t come like he said he was. When we finally arrive at the school, there are 3 police cars there. I don’t know what happened but by the look of it, it aint good. We get off the bus and I can see everybody crowded in the classroom windows to see what’s going on. When I finally make it through all the ruckus, I go to 1st period. Right when I get into the classroom, I’m called to ISS. Somebody told that I started the fight so I also got 3 days. I’m so mad. When I make it there, all eyes are on me. I can feel the hatred in the air. I still don’t understand why everyone thinks I started the fight. It doesn’t make any since. I see Devontay and Chelsee but no Dontray. I sit in the seat next to Chelsee.
“Hey girl, what are you in here for?” I ask her even though I think I know the answer. She starts to laugh. “What am I not in here for?!” Even I had to laugh at that. “Hey, have you seen lil D?” I ask sadly. “You didn’t hear?!” she say surprised. “Him and some dude named AB got into a BIG fight. I think it was over you. He said he wanted to make sure that lil D never saw you again. When they started fighting, lil D was winning until AB pulled out a gun and shot him. He got hauled off to the hospital.” “WHAT?!” I couldn’t believe my ears. “Shh,” the teacher says. “I’m fixing to go to the restroom. I don’t want to hear a word out of any of you.” As soon as she leaves, everyone turns and looks at me. “So Christine, how does it feel to be the most hated person in the 8th grade?” Some boy asks from across the room. “I don’t know why anyone dislikes me. I didn’t do anything. The fight had already gotten started before I went over there.” “Yeah that’s what she wants us to think,” he says smartly. “What about the fight today huh? You’re the reason lil D got shot. If it wasn’t for your little boyfriend,” another boy says. “Actually, he’s not my boyfriend, lil D is,” I say proudly but smartly. I can hear all the girls talking about how they were going to jump me after school. I wasn’t really worried about it cause’ they said the same thing yesterday and they didn’t do anything. But I still had to watch my back. “Hey!” I turn around and see Courtney Davidson standing behind me. She and I NEVER liked each other. “You got my boyfriend suspended yesterday.” How is PJ her boyfriend if he was over there saying those things to Taylor? “1st of all, I didn’t do anything and 2nd, he shouldn’t have been messin with my brother.” She pushes me out my chair. “Oh you want to get smart?!” I get up and start hitting her. I throw her on the ground and keep punching. I don’t know what or where I’m hitting, I just keep going. Devontay finally notices and run over to try to pull me off of her. The teacher run in and calls the security guard. He asked us what happened and she said I started it. She said she was mining her own business and I just went over and hit her. I said it was a lie but why would he believe me? He asked the other kids what they saw, and of course they took her side. Chelsee said Courtney started it but the police officer said that is was 15 against 1. Devontay took my side but he didn’t even see what happened. The principle added 6 more days if ISS and said if I got into any more trouble that I would be suspend for a long time. I don’t know how long a long time is to him, but I don’t think I want to find out. She only got 4 more days since she was included. After school, I walked home again. When I stepped out the door, AB was waiting for me.
“Hey baby, I took care of that boy for you. You don’t have to worry about him anymore. Your mine and now no one can stand in my way.” I’m backing up. “I’m not yours, don’t want to be yours, and will never be yours! How many times do I have to say that?! So just leave me alone!” I see a police car behind him. He must have gotten away earlier and the cops have been looking for him all day. They jump out the car and grab him. “Your coming with me buddy,” one of them says as their putting him into the car. I still can’t believe what is happening. All this happened the day before my date with lil D. Luckily, I can just sleep all day tomorrow cause’ we’re out of school for Student Holiday. I will go visit lil D tomorrow. When I got home, I jumped in the shower, fixed me a bowl of frosted flakes, and went to bed. I didn’t care where Devontay was or what he was doing. I just wanted to go to sleep.

Chapter 11 No Place Is Safe

I woke up around 12:00. It was quiet downstairs. Mr.Wayne left a note:
Christine,
I had to run a few arons. Devontay went to the mall so he should be back later. There’s food in the refrigerator. If you need anything, just call.

Love,
Mr.Wayne

I wanted to go to the mall but there was no point now. I should start getting ready to go see lil D. I can stop by the mall and check on Devontay on my way there. I get ready and eat some chicken before I leave. When I walk outside, I see Chelsee at her friends house. Their doing the usual. Every Saturday, Chelsee goes over there with her pit bull to fight her friends pit bull. I don’t know her friends name. I wave at her and just rush away. I don’t want one of them dogs to start chasing me. By the time I make it to the mall, its 3:35. I took my time at home. I see Devontay sitting with Taylor. He looks like he’s having a good time. I turn around to leave when I hear a gun shot. I turn back around and see Devontay lying on the ground. I run over to see if he’s okay. “Call 911! Hurry!” I yell. I look across the mall and see JT standing there. He starts smiling at me then just disappears. When the ambulance finally arrives, I ride with Devontay, not wanting to leave his side. I’m crying and praying that he will be alright. We get to the hospital and they rush him to the operating room. I sit in the waiting room for 4 hours. Mr.Wayne is here by then. The doctor comes into the room and says that Devontay will be just fine. They took the bullet out but they will have to keep him here over night. I was so happy that he was okay. My happiness leaves when Mr.Wayne walks out the room to answer the phone. I think I know who it is.

Chapter 12 Bad News

I walk into the room that Devontay is in. He’s barely awake. I sit by him. “Hey Devontay,” I say quietly. He starts to open his eyes a little. He can barely talk. “Hey Christine, what happened?” I regret not telling him about JT earlier. Now look what happened. It probably wouldn’t have changed anything but guilt was just eating away at my insides. “You got shot in the back but its okay now.” He starts to chuckle a little. “At least I didn’t get shot in the butt.” I start to giggle. “Even when you’re hurt, you’re still the same old crazy Devontay.” “Hey sorry about how I treated you yesterday,” he says softly. I smile. “It’s okay, don’t worry about it.” Then it hits me, yesterday, lil D! I jump up. “I’ll be right back Devontay.” I run out the room and go up to the lady at the front desk. “Dontray Owens,” I ask for. “Room 407,” she says pointing down the hall. I run down the hallway until I find the room. I knock on the door. “Dontray?” I say softly. “Come in,” he says. I walk into the room. “Hey baby,” he says cheerfully. I run up to him and give him a hug. “Glad to see you’re doing okay,” I say happily. He gets a huge smile on his face. “I’m just glad to see you. What are you doing here?” My smile fades. “Well, Devontay’s in the hospital too.” His smile fades too. “Man, I’m sorry. What happened?” “He was in the mall and this dude shot him.” He looks surprised. “Man do you know who did it?” I get this look of disgust on my face. “Yeah kind of, it was… before I get a chance to answer, Mr.Wayne walks into the room. “Hey Christine,” he says with a sad look on his face. “I have some bad news. Do you remember when the Child Protective Services said that you and Devontay can live together as long as nothing happens to ya’ll?” I shake my head yes. “Well, they found out about Devontay getting shot. I think you know what must happen now right?” My eyes tear up.

Chapter 13 Separated

“I can’t believe it’s finally summer!” I say when I wake up. I look at the time. “WOW it’s late!” It’s 1:30. I have to hurry. Lil D will be here any minute. I put on a cute outfit and run downstairs. Right when I make it down, I hear a knock at the door. I open it and see lil D standing there. “Hey Christine, are you ready?” he says hugging me. “Yep, but where are you taking me?” He gets a goofy look on his face. “It’s a surprise,” he says sarcastically. “Oh, and you never answered my question last night.” I’m confused. “What question?” “When I asked you if you missed Devontay. “Oh,” I say smirking. “To tell you the truth, not really.” He starts laughing. “Man that’s messed up.” I look at him crazy. What’s there to miss? I see him everyday. I mean I have to, he lives right next door to me now!”

This is a piece that i decided to write one day. Was inspired by my best friend. We always do little skits(scenes) together and imitate other people that we make up and one day we did a skit like this. I hope that after you read this that you will learn that there will always be a bad time in your life when you just feel like everything is crashing down on you but remember that the good overcomes the bad so make the best out of it. Something good will eventually happen at the end. Maybe not all the time but you know what i mean. So I hope you enjoy this short story and be looking forward to my next one: Best Friends