Ice Cream Shop | Teen Ink

Ice Cream Shop

It was a damp but warm morning in May. Sophie, Zoey, and their mom Anna had been in the town's local ice cream shop in 2013, At the time Sophie had been 5, and Zoey was 4. The ice cream shop had been called Frosty Palace Sophie and Zoey were silently giggling to each other with excitement while deciding which ice cream they would pick. 

“I think I´ll get mint chip!” says Zoey eagerly. 

¨I want to try the Superman ice cream!¨ replies Sophie. 

¨I´m not sure what I would want to get yet,¨ said Mom. 

¨I think you should try the flavor rocky road,¨ Sophie replies. 

Anna nods in agreement. Sophie´s and Zoey´s mom after ordering the ice cream went to pay for the ice cream at the cashier, while Sophie and Zoey intently waited to receive their ice cream. After Anna had paid for the ice cream an employee began to hand Sophie, Zoey, and their mom, their ice cream. 

¨Would you guys like to eat our ice cream outside? It´s really nice out today,¨ asked Anna. 

¨Can we please? That would be nice,¨ Zoey replies. 

¨Of course!¨ Says Anna.

It has been 11 years since Sophie and Zoey had gone to the ice cream shop, and it is currently 2024. Zoey is 15 and Sophie is now the ripe age of 16. All Sophie and Zoey do now is argue with one another. Their mom Anna feels she cannot get a break with how they act.

¨ZOEY, where is my new shirt, I know you took it!¨ yells Sophie frustrated. 

¨Did not!¨ Zoey replies annoyed. 

Walking up the stairs is their mom. ¨Can you guys ever get along?!¨ Anna says over the commotion. 

Both girls turn to face Anna, and Zoey quickly stomps back into her room. ¨What is going on with you two now?!¨ Anna asked Sophie. 

¨Well all Zoey has been doing is stealing my stuff left and right!¨ Replies Sophie. 

¨Don´t get mad with me, here I will talk to your sister and see what is up with her and these new shenanigans,¨ Said Mom. 

¨ What's going on here?¨ Henry says while walking up the stairs.

Henry is Sophie´s and Zoey´s stepdad, their real dad had left not long after Zoey had been born, Anna and the girls had been devastated after these events had taken place. In 2018 Anna had met Henry by bumping into each other at Greenville's local grocery store. They had started talking. Not long after their interactions, they then exchanged numbers.

“Did you steal something of your sister’s?” Asks Mom while Henrey lurks by the door frame.

“No, I didn’t, She’s lying!” Replies Zoey.

“This seems like something you and Sophie need to work out, you guys need to learn how to own up to your actions,” Says Henrey.

In response, Zoey just grunts and rolls her eyes. Not long after Anna begins to prepare for dinner.

¨Dinners ready!¨ Yells Mom. 

Jolting down the stairs comes Zoey and shortly after Sophie, ¨What did you make?¨ Asks Sophie.

¨I decided that we could have green bean casserole tonight,¨ replies Mom.

¨Ewww,¨ Zoey says with disgust.

¨Do not disrespect your mother like that, she does not work hard on making you guys dinner just for you kids to say that you do not like it!¨ Henry snaps. 

Silence begins to fill the room, and without saying another word Anna grabs Sophie and Zoey each a plate. As Sophie and Zoey began to eat the green bean casserole, Sophie swiftly grabbed her plate from the table and brought her food up to her room ¨ What's wrong with her?¨ Mom asked. 

¨Maybe we should go talk with her? I think something is going on. Sophie has been acting weird lately¨ replies Henrey. After Zoey had finished her food, she proceeded to put her dish into the sink and went up to her room to go to bed for the night. Anna had gone to hers and Henry´s bedroom, but Henry did not feel accomplished after what had happened with Sophie and her attitude. 

Henry had decided to go upstairs to talk to Sophie to see what had been up with her, but when he knocked on her door she did not answer. He thought that maybe she had been asleep. He continued to open her bedroom door and looked throughout her room to realize she wasn´t there. In a panic, Henry went into Zoey´s room to ask if she had talked to her at all to where she was, ¨Zoey, Zoey? do you have any idea where your sister is? She isn´t in her room,¨  Henry asked Zoey while urging her awake. 

¨Huh, wait what´s wrong?¨ Zoey replies dazed and groggily.

¨Zoey. Your sister is missing she isn´t in her room, I can´t find her!¨ said Henry in a panic.

¨What do you mean she isn´t in her room?!¨ Zoey replies.

¨I can´t find her, have you talked to her at all?¨ says, Henry.

¨No, I haven´t talked to her at all since after dinner,¨ says Zoey.

¨I´m going to go talk to your mother about this, she may know where she could be,¨ henry stated.

¨Alright, I'm going to try calling her phone,¨ said Zoey.

¨Let´s hope that she answers,¨ replied Henry while walking out of Zoey´s room.

Henry quickly raced down the stairs and into his and Anna´s bedroom ¨ANNA! Sophie is missing she isn´t in her room, and I just got done talking to Zoey. She has no idea of Sophie´s whereabouts,¨ Said Henry.

¨ OK, try calming yourself down. What do you mean she isn´t in her room?¨ Anna asked.

¨I checked her room top to bottom, she has vanished!¨ Henry replied.

¨She must have snuck out of the house to probably see one of her little friends,¨ Anna said Frustrated.

¨I am going to try her phone and see if she answers,¨ said Henry.

Henry tried calling her phone at least 5 times and all of his calls had gone straight to voice mail. Anna and Henry started to grow worried, Anna and Henry went to see if Zoey had gotten a hold of Sophie but she had the same results. Anna, Henry, and Zoey stayed up the rest of the night worried sick about Sophie wondering, hoping she would come home safe and sound. 

Anna had been awakened after just falling asleep to hear a slight creak coming from the stairs, Anna got up from her and Henry´s bed to check out the scene, walking out to where the stairs were she saw Sophie attempting to tip-toeing up the stairs and into her bedroom.

¨WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN YOUNG LADY?!¨ Anna yelled. Waking up Henry and Zoey from all of the commotion. Frightened Sophie whipped around to be met by her mother standing at the bottom of the stairs.

¨Where possible could you have been all this time?!¨ asked Anna.

¨I had just been out with friends for a little bit, I didn´t think it mattered,¨ Sophie replied.

¨A little bit?! Me and your Dad were up all night, worrying if you were ok! And you didn´t even think to tell me you were going out with friends?¨ said Anna.

¨Well, I didn´t think you were going to let me go because it was already getting a bit late,¨ says Sophie.

¨You still should have asked us. You do not just sneak out of the house, and not think to tell us where you are going!¨ Anna yelled. 

As Anna had been talking with Sophie, Henry came out of their bedroom to see what all the commotion was. 

¨SOPHIE! Oh my god, where have you been, me and your mother have been worried sick about you,¨ Said Henry.

¨She decided it was a good idea to sneak out with her friends,¨ Anna replied.

¨Are you serious?!¨ Henry said angrily.

¨Sophie, go up to your room! And give me your phone, you´re grounded until further notice,¨ Stated Anna.

¨You can´t do that!¨ Sophie yelled.

¨Oh, I can and I will,¨ Anna replies with a grin. 

Anna walked up the stairs snatching Sophie´s phone. Swiftly walked back into her room where she placed Sophie’s phone onto the nightstand.

¨I can´t believe she snuck out, and she thought we wouldn't notice,¨ Said Henry.

¨Teens these days, and their generation, thinking they can do whatever they want,¨ Anna replied.

Not long after this situation happened Zoey came out and told Anna why she felt mad all the time towards her sister. Zoey had been jealous of Sophie, and she felt that Sophie had and always was the better sister, and she hated feeling that way. 

¨Just because Sophie is, or does certain things, it does not mean that she is better than you in any way. You are both equal in my eyes, you need to learn how to cooperate with Sophie and tell her how you feel about certain things ¨ Said Anna lovingly.

Anna made Zoey realize that she and Sophie are sisters and that they need to be there for each other through the tough times because all they have is each other.

This Piece talks about two sisters, Sophie and Zoey. My short story talks about the relationship between Sophie and Zoey and the challenges they have to overcome to realize all they have is each other and to make the best of it.