School Storm | Teen Ink

School Storm

February 13, 2024
By Anonymous

You see the glimmer of your alarm clock at 1 am. You look out the window and all cars are gone out of your neighbor's driveway. The snow is gently falling from the sky. Your parents are on vacation, so you are all alone. Suddenly your parents call you, and you pick up the phone.

“Leave the house now, get away from Ontario as fast as you can I will explain later,” your mom says worriedly. 

You agree and you get a blanket and your water bottle that was sitting on your nightstand. You get into the car as fast as you can. Your fingertips start slowly freezing when you slowly grip onto the steering wheel. You shake your hands off knowing that's the least of your concerns right now. You wonder where everyone is. You start to drive. You hate driving in the city, so you go and drive on the country roads. The farther along you get the worse the snow falls. It gets to the point where you can't see the road anymore. The car starts to hydroplane and slips. The next thing you know is that you are in your mom's flipped-over car on the side of the road. You are in the middle of who knows where, so you step out of the car with an injured leg from the crash. In the distance, you see a building and you start to run the best you can with a hurt leg trying to leave the cold. You finally get to the redbrick building. In big lettering, it says Eagle View High School. 

None of the doors open. You look down and your fingers have already turned purple. You take your 3-year-old crusty hydroflask that you carried with you and throw it through the window. Not surprisingly, the window shatters into a hundred different pieces and disappears as it falls into all of the snow. You quickly crawl accidentally cutting yourself. You slide the filing cabinet to stop the snow from piling in through the window. After you finish moving that 50-something-pound cabinet you fall to the ground exhausted. You slowly start to drift back asleep until you wake up to the sounds of stomping going through the halls. You check your watch and it's already 9:00 in the morning. You get up and get your water bottle not knowing who or what is roaming through the halls. You open the door and you look down the hall and see nothing. You walk around still with your water bottle, ready to be thrown. You turn the corner and see the back of a girl about your age, she looks scrawner with beach blond hair.

“Ummm hi,” you say.

“Oh my gosh, you scared the life out of me!’’ The strange girl said

As she turns around to see you, you see the name on her backpack it says Samantha you assume that's her name. 

You ask Samantha “Why are you here?” 

She starts to explain that she was going to her own high school for cheer practice. However, the snow was too bad to drive in when she she assumed that people might be there but she didnt get far until she found this school she said it wasn't safe for her to drive any farther so when she saw the building she stopped, and broke in. You also told her your story, of how your name is Ally and the car flipped while driving away. You both agreed that you two never got a warning last night about a snowstorm, but it seemed like everyone else did and had time to leave. You both decided you guys needed to eat lunch. You search the halls for a while until you find the cafeteria. You start to turn the cold cafeteria, Handle. You call for Samantha saying you found it. She starts to walk up the hall toward you, you realize you two will have to get into the kitchen and make the food. The kitchen door was unlocked and you both had to choose what to make.

“Chesse broccoli soup or spaghetti and breadsticks?” Samantha asks.

“Spaghetti, probably,” You say.

Your stomach starts to growl. As she makes the food and it turns out really good. She starts the conversation and she talks about her life. Turns out she is a cheerleader and lives 30 minutes away. She has a mom, dad, sister, and a goldfish named Jerry. You start to tell her about yourself too. You say how you are in track and your parents are in Arizona for your mom's chemo treatment you tell her how it's stage 4 and how hard it's been. Somehow you both get on the topic of your career path she said she wants to be a nurse. You are still determining though, your parents say you have a while to decide even though you are going to be a senior in 6 months. You both found the nurse's office to sleep. They have beds. The beds were surprisingly comfortable for being a middle-class-looking school in there. Plus they had really comfy blankets. You both fall asleep. You wake up and take a walk, trying to clear your head you try to look outside but the snow covers the window. You are snowed in. You start to panic you go back to bed then you notice the phone has a flashing light on it. You pick it up, and you start to speak into it but it sounds distorted, you try for 5 more minutes then give up. You are starting to lose hope. You go into the kitchen and realize you both only have 1 meal left until you guys are out of food. All of a sudden you hear a huge crash Samantha wakes up startled. You both go to investigate a gust of cool wind comes through the hall. The doors fell through, the pressure of all the snow must have made them collapse. The snow starts to funnel more and more as you sprint back to the office. That day you and Samantha just sat there talking, you did not eat either to save the rations. You both went to bed hungry that night. In the morning you both wake up and walk around scoping out the area. Soon enough you hear another crash you go and look more of the doors have broken in. At around lunch time the the phone blinks again. Samantha picks up it this time. She screamed into it to try to get the people on the other end to hear her, but it was no use; they couldn’t hear her and hung up. Two hours later another crash you both went to see where it was this time. Something was different this time, you hear a man's voice. You slowly walk up to him. He says his name is Paul, and that he was looking to find and help people who were stuck. He says he is here to help you get out. You do wonder though, if should you trust that you guys can get them out of there safely. He says the whole building is almost covered in snow. Later you find out Samantha was also wondering how would the snow hold up a car to bring us somewhere safe. The weird thing is, no one came with him. You both decide to go with him because there's no other choice. Either to starve to death here, or go with him.

“Let's do it,” Samantha says.

“Are you sure,” you ask.

“I'm sure,” Samantha says.

Paul hears and tells us to go to the lost and found and get jackets, gloves, and whatever else we can find. You and Samantha get all geared up. Paul leads you through the tunnel he dug and came through. When you all get to the top all you see is white, but now the sun is out hopefully melting all of the snow soon. 

“We will have to walk for a bit to get to the truck,” Paul explained.

You get to the truck and Paul struggles to start the car but eventually gets it. He had granola bars. You both eat them up so fast. It feels that you were all driving for hours, and as you start to talk you start to trust Paul more and more. You arrive at a brown building. Paul starts to tell you people come here to escape the storm but they have no place to stay. You get out of the car there is much less snow there the people who work there warmed you both up by giving you guys blankets and gave you proper meals. You both asked how they knew where to find both of you there and said they could hear Samantha when she was yelling into the phone you guys just couldn't hear us they tracked the phone to find you. They said the reason Paul was alone was because they were getting so many calls they were doing the best they could. They said they were going to watch us for a couple of days or so to make sure we were okay because of our malnutrition, Then if we were good we could go home to our families.

3 days later they said you both could go home. You start to pack up everything they said you could keep like your blanket, phone, ect. You haven't got to talk to your parents over the phone yet because the phone line has been a struggle to get to since everyone wants to use it. Your parents have been staying in a hotel a couple of hours away but today was your day to finally go “home” to the hotel and see them. All of a sudden you see your dad's grey Ram truck and your mom and dad come walking to the building as you watch them from the window. You leave the room you have been sharing with 5 other teenage kids. You sign out of the “house” you were staying in. You sprint up to your parents and hug them.

“Oh my god Ally we have been so worried about you” your mom exclaimed.

Your parent keep talking but they sound muffled under your crying. You even think you saw your dad shed a tear. After a good 5 minutes of hugging and crying you get into your dad's truck. 

“Umm Mom theres something I forgot to tell you I may have flipped your car trying to get away” You say

“Ally, that's the least of our worries” your dad says.

You all arrive at the hotel. You turn on the TV and your favorite movie is playing. You all sat down to watch it. Let just say you rember why its you favorite movie. Then your parents surprise you and get your favorite fast food Panda Express, you all sit down and eat at the table finally reunited.


The author's comments:

I made this short story in my 9th-grade English class. This story is about two girls who get trapped in a school in a snowstorm. They have to figure out how to live with only 2 meals left in the whole school. They also have to figure out how to get out before the rest of the school collapses.