Genovese Letter | Teen Ink

Genovese Letter

Dear Austin Street Residents:

How would you feel if one of your family members was horrifically murdered? I know how it feels. My sister was Catherine Genovese. The lax decision made by not calling the police killed my sister. When we first heard the news out about the lurid murder, no one could believe it. What was shocking was what we heard a few days later. The fact the murder may have been prevented if one neighbor would have stepped in and called the police.

According to the police, my sister was stabbed sporadically three times. The neighborhood made a rash decision by not getting involved. Some may have made a conjecture it was a lovers quarrel. If that was the case, a man still has no right to hit a woman, someone should have stepped in. To me and my family, you all are murderers. One of you could have obviated the murder, and would have been considered a hero to my family. But no. Today we have to morn the loss of Catherine. Another thing which puzzles me is it seems if you feel like you did the right thing. Because of your lax decision an innocent 28-year-old is dead. You were her only hope. She yelled and screamed she was dying, you watched from your windows as if it was a movie on your television. It wasn’t. It was real. Now our family has to deal with the real fact that she is gone. Forever.

How would you feel if that was you? Right out side your domicile you were getting murdered. Knowing your neighbors were watching. No one leaves their windows. No police comes. You’re left for dead. Imagine the agonizing pain. Now, multiply the pain by three. Catherine endured the sporadic knife to her body three times. The meticulous time the police have put into solving the case won’t feel complete. You should be arrested. You were assistants in the murder. I’ll never forget what you have done to my sister and my family. I hope you never will either.

Think about what you have done. If any of you wish to reach us, I hope it’s because you have thought about the events that have occurred. And you wish to apologize. If that is the case, you can reach me with the address above.

Sincerely,

Mariah

Zero_K DIAMOND said...
on Jul. 6 2009 at 10:59 pm
Zero_K DIAMOND, Moosic, Pennsylvania

"Life's no fun if you're not insane, otherwise you grow up to be an accountant." -Moi

Wow. This is shocking and good. It really makes you examine your own life. How many times have I seen people in need and didn't help. How would I feel in the same situation. Excellent job. Bravo!

<(o.0)>