The Girl's Box | Teen Ink

The Girl's Box

January 27, 2024
By FishInSpace BRONZE, Newton Falls, Ohio
FishInSpace BRONZE, Newton Falls, Ohio
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Jason Jones and his family were having a good day. Jason decided to go outside for a walk around town. He walked around his town for many hours. He saw many things, he pet a few dogs, a few cats too. He went and he sat at a lake for hours. At the lake he saw people in a boat fishing, families having fun on the beach, people at the park and people swimming in the water. He was annoying his night, but it was getting dark out now. Since it was getting dark he decided to walk back home. He got up and realized that his legs hurt really bad and that he lives about a two hour walk away from his house and it was getting really dark. So he decided to walk over to the bus stop a little bit down the road into the main part of his city and he went and sat at the bus stop hoping that the bus would arrive soon. While he was sitting there a little girl with a box walked up to him and handed him the box. He looked down at the box which he had in his lap and then he looked back up at the little girl. He asked the girl what was in the box and he looked down at it. He then looked back up at her and she stepped back and she disappeared. He wondered to himself where she went. He set the box down beside him and he then got up and looked around but he didnt see any traces of the girl. He saw the bus down the road and so he grabbed the box and stood up. He stood at the bus stop waiting for the bus stop with the box in his hands. The bus pulled up to the bus stop and he got on after telling the bus driver where he needed to go. He sat in the bus resisting the urge to look down at the box because he wanted to wait till he got home to open it with his family. The box was completely black and it had no writing on it or anything but he felt a weird connection to the box so he didnt want to just leave it somewhere. He got off at the bus stop that was closest to his house and he walked home. As he walked down the street to his house he got sadder and sadder for no reason. As he stepped up to his door he had the urge to start crying but he held back the urge. He opened the door and saw his family all sitting in the living room together which is a thing that almost never happens so its a very weird accurance for him to see. He looked at the big family picture that his mom, aunts, grandma, and grandpa were in. He looked at the picture closely and he saw his mom when she was a little girl in the middle of the picture. When he saw his mom in the picture he started crying. The little girl at the bus stop that handed him the box was his mother when she was little. He had the box in his hands while he was crying and he looked down at the box. The box isnt black anymore. The box has letters and numbers at the top of it. He read it and the numbers read 1967-2024. The words read, Marrianne Jones. The box in his hands was the box with his mothers urn inside.


The author's comments:

This piece was a short story created in roughly 40 minutes.