Candles are Finite | Teen Ink

Candles are Finite

December 13, 2023
By NinerNiner76 BRONZE, Murfreesboro, Tennessee
NinerNiner76 BRONZE, Murfreesboro, Tennessee
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

There's something charming about a candle, how the flame upon its wick dances and slowly melts away the scented wax. How the smoke gently billows from the top, varying but all the same in showing more evidence that the candle truly burns. Candles can come in all shapes and sizes, but one factor always remains the same, and that factor is that they are made to burn until they cannot. Some may come with flaws that cause them to burn oddly or quickly, or to droop over while burning, even crumble. Others may come out beautiful and fit to live out their task for a long time.  
 
Each candle will only burn once, and smoke paints a picture for the owner of the candle of what is happening in the moment. Some smoke is thin and dreamy looking, while other smoke may look thick and foggy, but it is still there. The smoke of a candle can shape in unique ways, forming images that may seem familiar or others that may not. This is another blessing of the candle’s finite nature; it only creates these pictures once and likely never again despite any similar sights.  
 
Each candle is unique and limited, and it’s often viewed differently. Some people fear losing their candle, whether it’s because of the beloved scent or warmth, while some others may simply burn their candle to its end and then throw it out like it’s nothing. Regardless of who burns the candle or their feeling towards it, one fact stands firm, and that fact is that that every candle is finite and should be treated as such. Each candle is one of one, even if its mass produced to look the exact same as another. It is unique in its own ways, and it’ll only be that way once.


The author's comments:

This piece is a writing of symbolism, the candles being described are meant to represent life, smoke being memories. It's felt that life is often undervalued day in and day out and that time is forsaken, and this piece is meant to draw attention to that topic.