That Day | Teen Ink

That Day

By Nicole Peterson BRONZE, Easton, Connecticut
Nicole Peterson BRONZE, Easton, Connecticut

Early this morning Julia Fruithandler awoke and went through her daily routine. She got the kids up and ready for school. Julia left the house around seven after her babysitter came to watch the kids, due to the fact she was a single mom.

She made her way through the hustle and bustle of the city traffic thinking about what time to get her kids from the barn after school. Little did she know that this morning was the last time she would ever see her daughters again. She made a left into the parking garage and backed into her usual spot. She took the elevator to the 94th floor of the north tower. She sat down at her desk and started going through some paper work. At 8:40 a.m. she left her office to bring something to her secretary, Colleen. At 8:44 a.m. Julia sat down and unwrapped her éclair that Colleen gave to her. Meanwhile Colleen sprinted down stairs, she just gotten a call from her husband who was on flight number 11 saying that his plane was high jacked and that they here head for the twin towers. Finally Colleen reached parking garage and floored her BMW and got as far away from the twin towers as she could.
Julia stepped to the window with the éclair in her hand at 8:46 a.m. as a plane went right through her work window and Julia Fruithandler was blown to smithereens. Colleen raced to the school where Julia sent her kids and picked them up and told them that they would staying with her for awhile. She tried to explain what happen to the oldest child. A week later when thing were just getting back to normal Julia Fruithandler and Tym Fitzpatrick (Colleen’s husband) were pronounced dead.