Do The Right Thing! | Teen Ink

Do The Right Thing!

By Preciouspakii SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Preciouspakii SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

“Hey” called out Melissa. “Yea, what?” Jessica asked. “Never mind…I don’t want to ruin your mood.” Melissa said with attitude. Jessica had long silky black hair and was 14 years old; she was in 8th grade, graduating in a couple of months and was the smartest in school. Melissa had long silky hair as her twin sister Jessica had but Melissa’s hair was brown. They were in the same class, but they were identical expect by the hair color. Jessica was the angel, but on the other hand, Melissa was the brat who had been through more than 100 street fights. She was the leader of the gang, Eagles. If she was absent this would only happen if she skipped school. Moreover, if Melissa’s absent everyone is absent expect Jessica and closest friend, Natasha. Jessica and Natasha thought and thought about what to do. Finally, Jessica had an idea. She was telling Natasha that Natasha’s dad is a police officer, so maybe they can arrest Melissa to show her what happens if you are in fights, lead dangerous gangs and make her go to jail for a few days, so she can learn her lesson. Natasha told Jessica that she is going to ask her dad if there is a program for it.  “Yoo…I ain’t going to school for 2 days” Melissa said the night she skipped school. “Excuse me, but it’s supposed to sound like I am not going to school for two days not I aint going to school for 2 days. Anyways, why?” Jessica said seriously. “Because this girl wants to fight me and all that. And I am like all right and she is like tomorrow at 12:00pm. I’m like ok. So now, today she comes after school and says I could not today so tomorrow. So my fights usually 2 days long.” Melissa said with a negative attitude. “Alright, so where exactly is this fight taking place?” Jessica said trying to imitate her sister’s disgusted but wearily face. “Stop that….don’t ever try to copy me…anyways… the fight is on 38th street park.” Melissa had that I am so going to win look on her face. Out of nowhere, she starts laughing. “I can’t wait to she that girls face after I beat her up!”    Jessica and Natasha call each other and Natasha says that there is a program and her dad is willing to help. Jessica tells all the information to Natasha but first gets her mother to agree. Moreover, her mother says its O.K. Natasha’s dad’s friend goes undercover to 38th street Park. The officer sees Melissa, another girl fight, and a HUGE bunch of people around them. He goes over and makes everyone go away expect Melissa and the girl. He puts handcuffs on both of them, and says, “You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to speak to an attorney. If you cannot afford one, an attorney will be provided at no expense to you. You have the right to not answer questions at any time and request an attorney be present before any questioning continues.” He told another officer to take the other girl. The girl beseeched the officer to let her go. However, he did not. Melissa shuddered and looked as of she was in denial. The two police officers took them both downtown. When they reached downtown, they both whirled around the room. They went to the bathrooms and changed to jail uniform. They did everything that the officers told them rapidly and soundless. Their life was now destructed. They walked mournfully to the jail cell.  There was a bunch of people there. They all looked enraged. As Melissa and the other girl “Melina” [well, that is what the records said] walked they were shuddering. They look like get anxiety before they see something.  Finally, they got inside the jail cell everyone was graceful in the jail cell. They were laughing their brains put. They started telling Melina and Melissa all the things about being bad and coming here. They started saying things like oh if you continue with this you’re going to end up here for the rest of your life. Then one of them said “You know if you continue with this attitude, you’re gonna end up here. You’re gonna stay in this dark jail cell for the rest of your like. You’re gonna become on of us. And do you want to become of us?” She said furiously. “No, I don’t” Melissa said sadly. Melina on other hand, turned around to the officers, and beseeched them if she can get other of there. However, the officers just said, “If you didn’t fight all the time, you wouldn’t be here.” Melina frowned. They spent 24 hours in the jail cell. They got food, ate, and then they fell asleep. In the morning they woke up, ate, and went back to sleep as if nothing happened. They thought they were gonna spend their whole life in the jail cell. They were crying in their sleep. They were that scared.

However, after 24 hours, came in Melissa and Melina’s parents, and so did Natasha, Jessica and Natasha’s dad, Officer 24. They pulled Melissa and Melina out and told them the whole story. Well, they got mad but at least they learned their lessons. They learned that not to get involved in fights, focus in school and keep your mind to your self. In addition, do not get into fights.

This story is about learning lessons in life.