The Woman and The Girl | Teen Ink

The Woman and The Girl

By Write_TB_Read BRONZE, Cupertino, California
Write_TB_Read BRONZE, Cupertino, California

The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." — Dolly Parton

This piece uses similes(black hair “as” fine “as” sand), anthropomorphism(Bella(t tilting her head) and symbolism. The girl and the woman symbolize pawns on the chessboard that is society. The girl is blind and has a guide dog—Bella—and the woman hates her external appearance. The story branches into 2 different possibilities of 2 different people of the same ‘soul’: the girl and the woman. The girl is blind and therefore cannot see her reflection and though her turmoil is inside of herself—unable to fit in with society due to her blindness. The woman who is able-sighted can see her appearance, dislikes her appearance. Both the woman and the girl have the same personality & character(‘soul’) yet their experiences shaped them to turn out in 2 different ways. They both are discontent with themselves but each in a different way. The woman and the girl have the same personalities/characteristics so you would expect society would give them the same treatment, yet they are treated differently. I like how I convey the deeper meaning that this piece shows how society, no matter what we do or how we act, will still force us to judge ourselves in the worst light. 

In 10457 Thornfield St there is a woman who gazes at herself in the mirror. Her face contorts into disgust. “Why me?” She asks, the feeling of desperation washing over her. In her mind, her appearance is truly a curse. Days have passed and she has starved herself for the image of perfection, she grabs her keys and starts to walk. She wanders aimlessly unsure of where she’s heading. 

2 houses down in 10455 Thornfield St lives a girl. “Hold up Bella, let me grab my keys,” the girl says. Bella wags her tail in delight. The girl feels around, her hand gently caressing the wall until she finds an abnormality, the nook on the wall. Her fingers clutch the keys firmly. She then grabs air in a northward direction, her fingers wandering around in search for the doorknob. Her hands curl around the doorknob. “Bingo” the girl mutters aloud as she touches the knob. She fidgets with the keys and opens the door. Bella leads the girl cautiously yet confidently out of their house. The girl grew more confident as each step passed. As the girl and the dog walk, the girl says “You know I’m still getting used to'' her voice falters “being blind, good thing I have you Bella.” Bella, as if hearing the girl, tilted her head to acknowledge the comment. But suddenly Bella’s nose shoots up and Bella frantically takes off in a mad dash and the frightened girl grips Bella’s leash for dear life. The girl is screaming by now. “Stop Bella stop!” They both collide with something. No, someone. The “someone” they crashed into is a woman. She has almond colored skin and black hair as fine as sand. Her eyes glisten with tears and hold great sadness. The girl oblivious to her surroundings, rubs her head in pain. “Oww'' she groans. Bella nudges the girl to signal there is company. “Oh, sorry! I didn’t mean to…” the girl trails off, her keen ears hearing the sound of sobs. They weren’t the kind of sobs one would cry after crashing into someone. No, they were the sobs of someone who had been through so much and the pressure was reaching them. They were the sobs that the girl knew all too well. The woman stares at the girl hollowly and the girl feeling the woman’s gaze stares back. A tear drips down both of their cheeks. The girl touches the woman’s frail shoulder and the woman hers. They both feel it. The girl remembering sleepless nights crying over her inability to see and the woman over her appearance. A feeling of remembering glazes over them. As if they had met each other before. They both glance away, unsure of how to react. Suddenly realization dawns over them, both realizing how much society had manipulated them into judging themselves.

With the rise of social media and the internet, societal judgement/pressure has also increased. This means pressure on everbody regardless of gender, age, ethcinity, race, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status etc. An issue I tackle in this piece is—in short—societal judgement/pressure.