The Truth I'll Tell Someday

Zajac’s turquoise eyes squinted and his garnet lips pulled into a sad frown as he put his arm around his only friend here in the States. He moved closer and Mikalie leaned against him, putting the weight that was her world onto his shoulders.

“And if that wasn’t enough,” she continued, brushing a lock of auburn hair out of her watery ashen eyes, “The friend I told you about isn’t any better. She just gets sicker.”

She sniffled and Zajac squeezed her shoulder comfortingly. It had only been a few months, but ever since his family had immigrated over to America and he had met Mikalie his whole world had been nothing but sunshine. Well, almost sunshine. Mikalie was a beautiful person, but she put up with a lot more things than normal people did. Things like losing a job, failing chemistry and never being good enough for her obsessive stepfather, all in one week.

Things like watching a friend die and not being able to do much of anything about it.

The Polish were a protective people, and Zajac was no exception. He gave Mikalie a hug, feeling an unusual dip in his stomach. She sighed against him and there was a whoosh of air inside his chest, though he tried to tell himself that what he felt meant that he was getting sick.

Mikalie pulled away. She wiped her eyes and whispered, “I’ll see you after class,” she ran off into the hallway, away from the fountain where they had been sitting.

Zajac ruffled his golden hair, to try to distract himself from what he was thinking. She’s my best friend for goodness sake! He pulled his bag onto his shoulders, starting down the hall. Other guys are best friends with girls everyday, and they don’t feel like I do. There is no way I’m going to risk my friendship. It’s worth too much. He passed the classroom Mikalie was in. He saw her at her desk, with her head down. A wave of guilt swept through him. What am I thinking? She can’t possibly love me. She’s got too much on her plate right now as it is.

He blinked several times. An image of Mikalie swept into his head, beaming at him with her best smile. He felt embarrassed, a small grin peeking up at the corners of his lips. Maybe I will ask her…someday. Zajac continued down the hall. He turned the corner and was gone.

Mikalie swept her hair out of her face, not caring what the teacher was saying. A deep, intoxicating feeling had overcame her and she stopped breathing. In her head she watched Zajac, over and over, pull her into his strong hug. She shook herself, and looked out the window.

No way. I can’t love him. It’s too risky. I could lose him. She stared out the window by her desk and tried to forget his warm comfort. Maybe I’ll tell him, someday…but what are the chances of that?

Surrealist14 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 11, 2009 at 8:28 pm:
that was an awsome peice. I love how you envelope the feelings of both persons

awesomeaugust This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 3, 2009 at 7:55 pm:
how cute!