Grandpa Joe's Candy Store | Teen Ink

Grandpa Joe's Candy Store

By Austin_Ramsay BRONZE, Yuma, Arizona
Austin_Ramsay BRONZE, Yuma, Arizona

One sunny morning, Jimmy was walking to his Grandpa Joe's candy store downtown. The sun began rising and broke the night darkness. Jimmy came to his Grandpa's candy store, as Jimmy stood and opened the door, the lights of the old neon sign flickered on. Jimmy yelled, “Hey Grandpa! Where are you?”. Jimmy's grandpa came from the back room and said, “Hey Jimmy, I need some help for making the chocolate bars for today, want to come?”. Jimmy smiled and said, “Of course!”.

They went back into the kitchen and began pouring the rich, and thick chocolate. It poured into the pan and they put it in the big oven. The store door opened and someone came in. His name was Brian, and he was one of the candy store's greatest customers. Brian walked to the counter and ordered a box of the best bar of taffy they could make. Grandpa Joe told Brian that he would have to wait a long time for it to be made. But Brian said he would be back in about 4 or 5 hours.

Grandpa Joe walked into the kitchen, greeted by the rich chocolate smell. He called for Jimmy. Jimmy came running in his worn out apron and chef hat that his Grandpa had given him. Grandpa Joe smiled and said, “So, do you think you could make me the best taffy ever?”. Jimmy stood in amazement and said, “Anything for you Grandpa!”. Jimmy took the recipe and went to work. Grandpa Joe checked in on him every 30 minutes or so. After 2 hours passed, Grandpa Joe walked into the kitchen, and was surprised to see tears rolling down the cheeks of Jimmy. Jimmy quietly said, “Grandpa I tried to make it but I couldn't.” Jimmy looked down at the floor. Grandpa Joe walked over to Jimmy and said, “It's O.K., you and I can just make another batch.”

Jimmy looked up, and said, “Really? O.K.”. Grandpa Joe helped Jimmy make the taffy, and in 2 hours, it was finished. They took the taffy out and began cutting it into bars to wrap it for Brian. When they finished, Jimmy grinned to his ears and Grandpa Joe patted him on the back. Brian, their best customer came in, and Grandpa Joe handed him the box of taffy bars. Brian smelled the fresh taffy and handed 15 dollars to Grandpa Joe.

Brian waved at Grandpa Joe and walked into the warm morning sun. Jimmy went up to his Grandpa and said, “Grandpa, we can do anything when we work together.”.

I wrote this to tell young kids that working together can be a good way to get something done. I recently found out doing science labs, its much easier when two people work on it, rather than one.